ANIMALS SUCCESSFULLY HUNTED

hunternyny

Handloader
Feb 6, 2012
I am looking at muzzleloader hunting and muzzleloaders

What have you successfully hunted with a muzzleloader ?

Has anyone here hunted Grizzly, Africa D/G, or even moose with a muzzleloader ?

I've been hunting with ML's for over 30 years. I've put a lot of deer on the ground in that time.

I'm sure there may be some here who have used them on moose and elk, etc.

Good luck with it. They are a lot of fun, but you need to learn a few things about how to use them safely and correctly. Find someone with experience to teach you, or feel free to hit me up with your questions.

Brian

John, sounds like Brian ( above post ) can help you and also dont forget Tom. Tom loves muzzleloading hunting and has some VERY NICE muzzleloaders also. I am sure between him and Brian they could get you started.

I dont use them as they are too much trouble for me---But, my dad, like Tom, loves them. He fancies himself as some sort of Daniel Boone, but mum always smiles and mumbles something that sounds like Elmer Thudd ( sp ? )

Anyway to answer your question, I know he has hunted Elk and Moose in the Colonies, Lion and Plains game in Africa, and Red Stag and Wild Boar in Argentina. And I think he tried goat but not sure how that went.

Best Regards,

Jamila

70035179d75f899a4ed2db8c73f86d6c.jpg

I have gotten several whitetails, and a moose so far with my muzzle loader. I have hunted bears of both color with it but haven't taken one yet. I'm sure it is up to the task

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deer and elk both, with a traditional rifle, not one of the newer. In my little world sphere to many season's overlap its not convenient for me to hunt with them any more. My success is much better with a rifle, so I concentrate on those hunts.

An elk in NM a couple of years ago, and some deer here in MI.

In NM it was a way to get to hunt a "better" unit and here at home it's a way to add a couple of weeks to deer season.

I would do a muzzleloader elk hunt again if I had the option. Then again, I'd do any type of elk hunt if given the option. :grin:

Attachments

• elk - smaller.JPG
    elk - smaller.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 2,980
I've killed at least a dozen elk with a muzzle loader, the furthest was 184yds with open sights.

Lot's of Deer and Elk. Been at it for 30 years. Like others have said - reach out for some information and save yourseld a lot of grief. With Muzzleloader - a good shot and it's over. A bad shot and it's a bad day. Since you only get the one shot - make it count and you will have a great time wth it.

Forgot to mention - I have a Elk Muzzleloader hunt this fall off the breaks of the Snake and Salmon rivers here in Idaho. Looking forward to THAT !!

I've been hunting with muzzleloader's since 1976 nothing but black powder and patched round balls. For the past 30 years or so I've hunted only with flintlocks. I've taken a lot of deer in that time, usually at least one a year. A lot of hogs also, 2 boars approaching the 400 pound mark.
That's about it. I tried to get drawn for an elk tag but never got drawn.
But I'm perfectly happy going after those whitetails.

I hunted Iowa Early Muzzleloader Deer Season this year and was able to hunt 6 days and was rained on three days.
I was able to bag Two Does and shot one in its bed in the rain walked to about 50-60 yards. I had a good time but the weather was not good and never did see a Buck. It was very warm with temps in the middle 70’s & rain. The deer were not moving and the rut had not started yet.
Rifle TC Rengade .54 cal.
Load was .530 ball .018 patch and 90grains by volume Pydrex RS and Remington cap.

Attachments

• 072BFD01-9C30-4D85-AE28-2415220631DA.jpeg
    072BFD01-9C30-4D85-AE28-2415220631DA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,691
hunternyny":11pbtr5p said:
I am looking at muzzleloader hunting and muzzleloaders

What have you successfully hunted with a muzzleloader ?

Has anyone here hunted Grizzly, Africa D/G, or even moose with a muzzleloader ?

Haven't used my traditional .50 Thompson-Center "White Mountain Carbine" in quite a few years now. It did take two mule deer with two shots back in the mid 1990's. I was using the 385 gr Hornady "Great Plains" hollow point bullet. Soft lead, accurate, expands well.

Used black powder one year, and Pyrodex the next.

I carried it on a spot & stalk black bear hunt, but passed on taking a sow at about 30 yards when I realized she had a cub following along behind her. That was interesting when I stood up from behind the log the bear was approaching and said "Hi bear." She got sorta excited, had been completely clueless that I was anywhere around!

Then that group of hunters kinda broke up - retirements - people moving and all that. I carried the muzzle loader one more year, then went back to "modern rifle" for my hunting. Still have the muzzle loader though, and I might just take it out and shoot it some more one of these days. Lots of bullets & powder left from the "old days."

They can be accurate and effective, but it does take a while to reload...

Guy

Back