Small 8 point whitetail

Darkhorse

Handloader
Mar 14, 2014
Got this buck yesterday morning 11/24/2017 with my .54 flintlock (my build) shooting a .530 roundball, 75 grains 3fg, and .015 patch.
Excuse the mean look but I was looking right into the sun, I'm not normally that gruff.

Attachments

• SS850100 (800x600).jpg
    SS850100 (800x600).jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 2,252
I thought maybe you leaned into the hot wire on the fence.
Beautiful rifle, been thinking more about one of those. Nice work on the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent work! I'd say that is pretty decent work with a smoke pole. (y) I thought we were all supposed to look mean to intimidate any weenies that might be lurking about. :mrgreen:

You need yourself a proper hat to go with that nice smoke pole and the rest of your possibles. Good work! CL

Nice buck and nice rifle!

I'd love to kill a buck with my long rifle, but I'd have to keep my tag till flintlock season, and I just don't have it in me to skip archery season!

Cloverleaf, I forgot to put the hat on. Sorry.

I've got another buck tag. In Georgia we get 2 buck tags and about 10 doe tags. But I'll be hunting for the big boys now that I've made some meat. Mostly I'll be hunting with the flintlock as I have for the last several years, but depending on the spot I hunt a scoped rifle will get the nod. Some places just aren't suited for an iron sighted flinter. And I'm not a purist, I'm a rifleman first.
But I got to tell you there is just something immensely satisfying and comforting about hunting with a weapon with the history of a flintlock longrifle.

Darkhorse":3a1cbgt0 said:
I got to tell you there is just something immensely satisfying and comforting about hunting with a weapon with the history of a flintlock longrifle.

I've never hunted with a flintlock, but I should imagine that there is an immense sense of satisfaction. I envy the opportunity to hunt with antique weapons.

Congrats! It's been about 20 years since I took game with a muzzle loading rifle!

Guy

Great buck and doing it with a rifle you made is even cooler. Congrats.

DrMike":o1qqzjvw said:
Darkhorse":o1qqzjvw said:
I got to tell you there is just something immensely satisfying and comforting about hunting with a weapon with the history of a flintlock longrifle.

I've never hunted with a flintlock, but I should imagine that there is an immense sense of satisfaction. I envy the opportunity to hunt with antique weapons.

I encourage everyone to shoot a flintlock at some point. Not only were they an important step in firearms development, they were obviously quite pivotal in Colonial American history. I live in the midst of the cradle of the long rifle's development and am blessed with ample and close opportunity to see many modern-made long rifles as well as excellent exhibits of antique originals, plus have access to many master builders, all of whom, without exception, are welcoming and accepting of us neophytes.

Plus, if you thought you could shoot a rifle, shoot a flintlock. It'll put that marksmanship to the test! I've yet to see someone who could shoot a flintlock well who wasn't an overall solid rifle marksman. They just don't tolerate any silliness in your form or technique.

Back