Sight check for squirrels

Darkhorse

Handloader
Mar 14, 2014
Getting ready for some squirrel hunting and thought I'd check my sights first. Due to a weak acorn crop I haven't seen many this year though, so I may not actually get a shot at one. Making one hold still long enough to get a good aim is the hard part.
Rifle is my .40 Caliber Lancaster flintlock that I built for turkeys several years ago.
I made up these targets to simulate shooting at the real thing. The bull is quarter size and at 30 yards it's mighty hard to see with 65 year old eyes.

Attachments

• Squirrel1-21.jpg
    Squirrel1-21.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 1,827
  • SquirrelQuarter1.jpg
    SquirrelQuarter1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,827
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,827
That's pretty darned cool right there! Great shooting and good luck in the squirrel woods.

With a flintlock? Enviable shooting. Afraid my eyes just aren't good enough anymore (if they ever were) to even aspire to such shots.

Dr. Mike, when I first started shooting in muzzleloader competitions around 1976, I was shooting a .54 caliber and could often see my bullet holes at 100 yards when the light was right. I still have excellent long range vision for my age, close up not so good. I wish I had those young eyes back again.

Ah, yes, I remember a day when I could see the bullet holes at 100 yards from my 35 calibre rifles. Without optical assistance, I can't see even 45 calibre holes today! I still shoot quite accurately, but without solid optics, it would not look near as pretty. Minute of moose, without a doubt. Squirrel? Maybe not so much.

It's all good Dr. Mike. The difference between shooting moose and shooting squirrels with a flintlock is with the squirrel, you just got to "aim smaller and miss smaller"

Darkhorse":3gaswop1 said:
It's all good Dr. Mike. The difference between shooting moose and shooting squirrels with a flintlock is with the squirrel, you just got to "aim smaller and miss smaller"

(y) :mrgreen:

Back