10 shot target

Darkhorse

Handloader
Mar 14, 2014
I've had an ongoing problem with my .40 caliber. It has double set triggers and the lock would hit so hard it jarred the rifle off target before it fired. I've tried to shoot through it but still the accuracy remained inconsistent. The lock was out of balance, meaning the mainspring and frizzen spring were both too strong which made the frizzen too hard to open.
So I measured the force required to open the frizzen then worked some springs until I got the force I wanted. Now there is no more jar and it shoots smooth.
I tried for a good group but it's still too spread out, mostly because I shot out my aiming point. But there are 10 shots in that hole so I guess it will do until next time.

Attachments

• 10 shot target 40 caliber.jpg
    10 shot target 40 caliber.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,457
Well, I guess! That is some fine shooting. With a smokepole, it is somewhere beyond fine! Excellent post. Looks as if you not only have the rifle shooting well for you, but you've mastered the intricacies of the old rifle yourself.

Dr.Mike, A decade or more ago I had a mentor who took the time to help me understand the inner workings of the lock. He was/is a well known builder of fine locks, I don't mention his name or reveal all the tricks as per his request. When you get beyond lock tuning 101 the methods then become secretive. Partly because it's a buisness to some, but also due to the safety factors involved with modifying the internals of a lock. Much like someone without the skills working on a trigger with stones.
It's getting close to turkey season and I wanted this fixed. It was worse when shooting in field positions.
I'm going to make some new targets before I shoot again. When I shoot the center out I need to have a good aiming point. With these older eyes I seem to want to aim at the hole not the center of the target.

Back