Flintlock rifle gobbler

Darkhorse

Handloader
Mar 14, 2014
5/4/2018
I got there a little late, about 7:15 am. I loaded my rifle at the truck, listening all the while. Nothing. I was hunting from a pop up blind less than 100 yards from a powerline, this is one of my tried and true locations for both turkeys and deer. I chose to use only one hen decoy and placed her about 30 yards away between me and the powerline. I chalked up the 2 box calls and 2 slates I usually carry but decided to start out with just 2 of them. A slate call that gives perfect purrs and clucks. And an old box call that has gotten sweeter with age, like a spruce top on a dreadnought guitar. Plus it carrys a long way down in the woods.
I started off with a few clucks just in case one was close, then made a series of long range yelps. Nothing. Every 15 minutes I repeated those loud calls. Nothing. So far I hadn't heard a bit of turkey talk.
I checked the time it was a little after 9 am. A few minutes later I made another series of long range yelps......... a gobble! Far off.
I waited a few minutes and repeated.... another gobble.... he answered me. Usually I'd shut up about this time but this one only moved when I called so every few minutes I'd call again, and that kept him coming. Finally he was right in front of me across the power line, then he shut up. I spent a few minutes getting set up to make a shot straight to my front then let out a yelp. GOBBLEGOBBLEGOBBLE! He really hammered it out but he wasn't to my front he was about 50 yards to my left, I could see him. I knew that I'd blown it.
Then he started sneaking and looking, sneaking and looking, then sneaking and strutting a little, all the way from left to right across my front never giving me a shot. Then he went out of sight and was quiet.
"That's it" I thought. "He's gone" But you never can tell about those birds so after a few minutes I made one cluck and he gobbled right back 50 yards to my right. Now he's moving slowly back to the decoy still too far. He goes into a strut....and doesn't come out of it but he's still walking in a zig zag back towards the decoy. I can see him good but there's too much brush. Then he comes out from behind a tree and he's close enough but still in a strut. I can see the head through the sights and move the front post back to the wing butt....my triggers are set.....I shoot but in the still morning air I can't see nothing but smoke. Then he's on the ground flapping, moving to the left, and he gets up and starts walking while limping on the right side. I thought he went behind a thick spot but he didn't, he only went about 10 yards. And he's got an 11 inch beard.
I built "Little Sureshot" 15 years ago mainly as a turkey rifle. She has a Rice, B profile, 40 cal. barrel, LH Large Siler lock, Davis set triggers, iron furniture in an Issac Haines stock. My turkey load is a .395 round ball, .018 Pillow Ticking patch, Lubed with Canola oil and 60 grains of 3fg. The stock was stained dark but it has lightened up some from handling.

Attachments

• SS850062 (1280x960).jpg
    SS850062 (1280x960).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,960
  • SS850067 (1280x960).jpg
    SS850067 (1280x960).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,960
Super account of a fine hunt. I was right there with you up to and including the shot. Excellent! Good colour on that bird.

Great shooting with the flinter and a nice looking bird.
You brought back old memories when I hunted with my southern mountain rifle I built. I should get it back out and shoot it more.

OUTSTANDING! that is so cool congrats to you. My hats off to you guys who hunt with a "spark" gun. Such a cool thing- and such craftsmanship is needed to make it all work. I have a friend who notes that, "shooting a flintlock requires that you have a sense humor and not take yourself too seriously...". Beautiful rifle too! CL

Congratulations on your Tom turkey. Pretty cool.

JD338

Back