I guess I'm changing over.......

Muldoon

Beginner
Oct 16, 2016
from centerfire cartridges to PRB in my Traditional ML rifles for my deer and turkey hunting! If I survive this prostate cancer I'm taking radiation treatments for, 44 in total and 12 more to go....this coming season will be my 68th deer hunting season! I have taken lots of bucks over the years....sometimes hunting 5 different states...whitetail and muledeer but mostly whitetails! All have been with centerfire cartridges and I've come to the conclusion that it's just too dang easy. Late in the twilight of my life I've decided that the Hawken style flintlock that I have along with my two Caplocks will be what I shall hunt with from here on out! They shoot really well and having to limit the range I'll be able to employ will make the game a lot more interesting! I've given most of my centerfire rifles to my grandkids and a few friends worthy of reception thereof! I can no longer sit at the reloading bench like I've done since 1948 because of two herniated disc in my lower back and that's not really necessary when I can load out of a shooting pouch and powder horn! I've got a new Leman Caplock rifle I got a short time back and it really has a beautiful piece of wood! Been bumping 102F here last few days so haven't gotten to shoot it much to date! Such are the joys of living in North Louisiana this time of year!

My Leman caplock rifle:

Leman Muzzleloader by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Best of luck to you, friend. While I haven't been at it quite as long as you (I'm only 52), I have killed a fair number with muzzleloader, both traditional and modern. It's my favorite season to hunt.

Keep your powder dry...

Brian

I'll be watching for your adventures. Your quest will ensure that you are hunting and not merely shooting. Handsome stick, btw.

Good luck with becoming cancer free and enjoy the new rifle it looks great and very similar to the southern Mountain rifle I built for myself many years ago.

Thanks guys....for your responses! This hasn't been a fun deal....the radiation! But I'm gonna beat it!! (y)

Muldoon best of luck with your prostrate. I know there better ways to have fun than radiation treatments.
Used to, I was a real gun nut that shot all my rifles regularly. And during hunting season all of them saw some use. Including a caplock Renegade I bought in 1976. But age and joint problems have a way of taking a toll, I have a bone disease that attacks the joint itself. I have so far lost the left knee and left hip to total joint replacement. And I can feel it in my right side now as well. Both shoulders have it too according to recent x rays and this makes it real tough to shoot offhand.
So gradually I started leaving other rifles in the safe and only carried a .308 Tikka Lite or a flintlock when hunting. But for the last 3 seasons it's been mostly the flintlock, I think I carried the .308 twice last year.
I have found hunting with a flintlock to be very relaxing and rewarding. I shoot both of mine a lot and can still shoot them pretty good and I will continue to do so.
It just feels like the right thing to do.
Walking the path of the traditional muzzleloader is a challenge, I hope you do well on your journey.

1100 Remington Man":2z685e5n said:
Very nice looking rifle. Good luck with the treatments and hope you have many more seasons.

Thanks! Finished up about two weeks back and things looking up!

Take care!

Best of luck to ya! I've always enjoyed hunting with a front-stuffer...We now have a "Mountaineer Heritage Season" open only to traditional muzzleloaders. No inlines or scopes permitted..Good way to extend the season beyond the regular muzzleloader season.

Back