Season is over ....

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
We finished out Whitetail and Elk seasons with Muzzleloading. I did not pull the trigger at all this season, that's a first !! My hunting buddy had what I can only guess was "Bad" Powder. When he shot at a Cow Elk it sounded like a long phizztboomish. Ha- I don't know how to even describe it. A very weak report. After the excitement was over and checking for a hit he said it felt like shooting a 22 - no recoil. An hour later he shot at a doe and same thing. We loaded the gun and he shot at a rock on a clay bank at 75yds and the slug hit about 7 - 8 feet low and again no recoil. only 1 of the next 6 shots were "normal". He dumped all pre-loads and the rest of the can of powder. Very dirty barrel - he tore it down and cleaned and the new can of powder was normal shooting again. Kinda of a bummer since that was the only shot the five of us had at an elk. We'll be ready again next year. We will shoot many shots with the powder and fresh pre-loads.

Bummer of a lost opportunity. What kind of powder was it? Fellow I knew left some Pyrodex in speed loaders till the next season. He went to the range to check gun and it would shoot 5-6 ins low. Took powder out of the can that had been sealed all year and using the same load shot where the gun was sighted in for. So powder can go bad. Dan.

Back