My handgun hunting thread...

A ghost connector will help and doesn't cost much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dig your set up.. I got one of the G40's when I retired and the fellas did some trigger work on mine as well..

I like the sight on yours.. Gears are turning now..

13.2 inch pounds....

Torque for the mounting plate to the slide, that is direct from Glock.

I broke a screw on my first attempt... I'd remove the factory applied blue gunk and use a dab of fresh blue Loctite.

Ridgerunner, you have my brain running over time. I'm a 1911 guy. I have a 3" and a 5", 9mm and 45 ACP respectively. I really NEED a 10mm and NEED a 4.25 to make it a full set. I love the 10mm and have since its inception(1983 was a great year for cartridges, pistols, and rifles with the 10mm, 357 max, 7-08, the glock 17, the mini 14, the model 7). Col. Coopers .40 Super is the bees knees. I have been eyeballing several 1911s in 10mm. Top on my list is the DW Silverback followed by the RZ10 but both are spendy. next would be the Colt Delta Elite. I have a Kimber and its awesome so a TLE or the new Camp Guard will likely be what I focus on. both are 5" so the commander will have to wait.

RR - it's been interesting, following your thread. A .40 cal, 200 gr bullet at 1300 fps is impressive.

The accuracy you're seeing is commendable. Looking forward to your hunt reports!

That's a good load with an ES of 3! Blue Dot has been my powder for the 10mm but may have to try some #9.

Thanks guys....

I'm looking forward to some more practice and bullet tests when work slows down a bit.

Blue Dot is an excellent 10mm powder, too many people and load manuals have said so for it to not be true.

I initially went with #9 instead for 2 reasons.... Load density and low flash... Those are 2 things that #9 does better than Blue Dot.

26NosFan":60dd1bik said:
Ridgerunner, you have my brain running over time. I'm a 1911 guy. I have a 3" and a 5", 9mm and 45 ACP respectively. I really NEED a 10mm and NEED a 4.25 to make it a full set. I love the 10mm and have since its inception(1983 was a great year for cartridges, pistols, and rifles with the 10mm, 357 max, 7-08, the glock 17, the mini 14, the model 7). Col. Coopers .40 Super is the bees knees. I have been eyeballing several 1911s in 10mm. Top on my list is the DW Silverback followed by the RZ10 but both are spendy. next would be the Colt Delta Elite. I have a Kimber and its awesome so a TLE or the new Camp Guard will likely be what I focus on. both are 5" so the commander will have to wait.

I have the Glock 20 and the Rock River 4.25. I think if I had it to do over again I'd save up for a 6" version 1911. I really like the bronze R1 Remington..Springfield is coming out with one too.

If I were getting a 1911 (or anything else) in 10mm.... It would have to have a 6" barrel... No question.

Otherwise I'd just blow my fingers off trying to get it up to 6" barrel velocity.

Its a hot rod round... I know its probably been done, but why put a 500hp engine in a Yugo?

I drew a lot of attention at the range yesterday with the G40.

There were several people there, a few of the old regulars and a couple I didn't know... When I started knocking on that 150 yard steel with a Glock it got everybody's attention.

Sorta took me by surprise that everybody was so shocked... One of them has a G20 he's been trying to sell, said he can't hit the broad side of a barn with it.

I must have answered 100 questions regarding what all I had done to it... Which, as you all know, isn't much... Just the 7" KKM barrel and a 25 cent trigger job.

I put the lighter load that I have worked up on paper at 50 yards, from a solid rest... Several groups... I averaged 2.5 inches... Another guy shot it, one of the old regulars, and someone with far more pistol experience than me produced a group just under 2".

I got asked to see if I could hit the 300 yard steel (36" x 36", hard to miss really)... Ran the shot through the Applied Ballistics app to get the drop, held 8.5 feet over the center of the target.... And nailed it on the first try.

Did that without any kind of secondary rest ... I used one of Elmer Keith's shooting positions.... Sitting, back against the concrete bench, pistol clamped between my knees for extra support.... That is a pretty solid shooting position.

Been reading Keith's books this week....

No idea why I waited this long to read them.... Excellent books.

I did that 25 cent trigger job with Blue Magic metal polish and a Dremel (1/2" polishing wheel, felt)... Check YouTube to see where to polish.

A little time and a little money very well spent... Its no finely tuned single action, but it is a lot better than it was.

Still not crazy about the trigger shoe...

SJB358":19myrl84 said:
Very cool. You are slowly motivating me to make my G40 right!

He is slowly motivating me to buy a Glock 40

I wish I could come up with a better way to keep up with my brass. It's hard to keep track of them after ejection.

Light loads...

The brass just sorta dribbles over the side.

On the hot loads, the ejected brass likely hits harder than a snub nose 38.

Bullet switch... https://cuttingedgebullets.com/40-190gr-handgun-solid

Going to be trying these high dollar bullets, 190 grain Cutting Edge solid (copper)...hoping I can get them to around 1,350 fps from the 7" barrel.

They are a long bullet at .725", so the load will likely be compressed using #9, maybe not though...just have to see.

If compression becomes an issue, I'll switch to magnum primers.

Why these bullets?
I tried cast bullets (Beartooth and my own castings) once before in 45-70 and had barrel leading issues with everything but reduced loads, just didn't come away with a positive attitude towards lead bullets even though I had good instruction on it (Veral Smith, Ranch Dog, and some others...if you know those guys)...sold my casting equipment, almost all my lead, and everything...won't be doing any more casting.

But, these copper bullets have a good meplat on them, should behave just like a lead slug as far as terminal performance goes....CEB claims they went over 50" in clear ballistics gel.

I know you shouldn't have troubles but DYNA Bore Coat is great stuff that cuts down on all fouling. Looking forward to seeing how they work for you.

Back