Nosler Homepage Shop Nosler Search Nosler Talk Loading & Reloading Nosler Load Data
Nosler Homepage Shop Nosler Search Nosler Talk Loading & Reloading Nosler Load Data
Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:10 pm

• Custom Rifle Sale Ad
  • Shooters Pro Shop
  • Nosler Ballistics 2.0

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: My handgun hunting thread...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:01 pm 

I drew a lot of attention at the range yesterday with the G40.

There were several people there, a few of the old regulars and a couple I didn't know... When I started knocking on that 150 yard steel with a Glock it got everybody's attention.

Sorta took me by surprise that everybody was so shocked... One of them has a G20 he's been trying to sell, said he can't hit the broad side of a barn with it.

I must have answered 100 questions regarding what all I had done to it... Which, as you all know, isn't much... Just the 7" KKM barrel and a 25 cent trigger job.

I put the lighter load that I have worked up on paper at 50 yards, from a solid rest... Several groups... I averaged 2.5 inches... Another guy shot it, one of the old regulars, and someone with far more pistol experience than me produced a group just under 2".

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:13 am 

Very cool. You are slowly motivating me to make my G40 right!

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:55 am 

I got asked to see if I could hit the 300 yard steel (36" x 36", hard to miss really)... Ran the shot through the Applied Ballistics app to get the drop, held 8.5 feet over the center of the target.... And nailed it on the first try.

Did that without any kind of secondary rest ... I used one of Elmer Keith's shooting positions.... Sitting, back against the concrete bench, pistol clamped between my knees for extra support.... That is a pretty solid shooting position.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:57 am 

Been reading Keith's books this week....

No idea why I waited this long to read them.... Excellent books.

Last edited by Ridgerunner665 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:06 pm 

I did that 25 cent trigger job with Blue Magic metal polish and a Dremel (1/2" polishing wheel, felt)... Check YouTube to see where to polish.

A little time and a little money very well spent... Its no finely tuned single action, but it is a lot better than it was.

Still not crazy about the trigger shoe...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:14 pm 

SJB358 wrote:
Very cool. You are slowly motivating me to make my G40 right!

He is slowly motivating me to buy a Glock 40

I wish I could come up with a better way to keep up with my brass. It's hard to keep track of them after ejection.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:34 pm 

Light loads...

The brass just sorta dribbles over the side.

On the hot loads, the ejected brass likely hits harder than a snub nose 38.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:35 pm 

delete

Last edited by Ridgerunner665 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:30 pm 

Bullet switch... https://cuttingedgebullets.com/40-190gr-handgun-solid

Going to be trying these high dollar bullets, 190 grain Cutting Edge solid (copper)...hoping I can get them to around 1,350 fps from the 7" barrel.

They are a long bullet at .725", so the load will likely be compressed using #9, maybe not though...just have to see.

If compression becomes an issue, I'll switch to magnum primers.

Why these bullets?
I tried cast bullets (Beartooth and my own castings) once before in 45-70 and had barrel leading issues with everything but reduced loads, just didn't come away with a positive attitude towards lead bullets even though I had good instruction on it (Veral Smith, Ranch Dog, and some others...if you know those guys)...sold my casting equipment, almost all my lead, and everything...won't be doing any more casting.

But, these copper bullets have a good meplat on them, should behave just like a lead slug as far as terminal performance goes....CEB claims they went over 50" in clear ballistics gel.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:10 am 

I know you shouldn't have troubles but DYNA Bore Coat is great stuff that cuts down on all fouling. Looking forward to seeing how they work for you.

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:34 am 

Good looking bullet. I had good luck with the Montana golden bullets 200gr. It's the same bullet buffalo bore loaded in their loads.

http://montanagoldbullet.com/index.php/ ... j-197.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:13 am 

Lynn,

Excellent shooting! You have the G40 singing.

JD338

Noslers Rock

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:29 am 

These are expensive, but I won't be using many of them, maybe 20 per year after initial load development and sight in.

I keep reading all this about meplats and penetration, decided since pistols are weak anyway I wanted the best bullet I could find... And no lead... I'm not the tree hugger type where lead is concerned, the reasons I won't use it have nothing to do with condors or water fowl...

It's just the eccentricities of loading it that I don't like or have time for... Oversize bullets and not swaging them when seating, balancing that with enough neck tension to not set back in a semi auto, etc.

In a wheel gun, I'd just buy Beartooth.... But in the Glock, I'm rolling with copper.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:09 pm 

JD338 wrote:
Lynn,

JD338

Thank you!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:09 pm 

JD338 wrote:
Lynn,

JD338

Thank you!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:37 pm 

I've been emailing back and forth with Cutting Edge Bullets, concerning load data... They gave me some QuickLoad data that I had already come up with myself, calibrated to their bullet specs.

That's all they had, but they are adamant that any reputable load data for a similar weight bullet can be used as long as the bullet is seated per the loading instructions... That is .266" sticking out of the case, which should work fine in most any pistol with proper length brass.... It will come out to 1.25" to 1.26" overall length.

The bullets arrived today but it will be a little bit before I get there to do anything with them.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:04 pm 

Decided to try a 20# spring in the G40...the factory RSA has been working fine, no issues at all, but as I got used to shooting the pistol I noticed I can feel the slide bottoming out on the frame pretty hard.

Didn't notice it at first, but as I got accustomed to the feel and sound of shooting it...I noticed it quite handily.

Did some crude math and decided that for my slide/barrel weight (slide, 7" barrel, and a Leupold Deltapoint Pro) a 20 pound spring was more or less equal to a 24# spring on a bare topped G20 slide.

I got the Glockmeister version...I've always used Wolff springs but since they're behind the curve on the Gen 4 Glock assemblies I guess I'll see what ISMI is all about.

I wish someone would get some dual captured setups on the market in increased spring weights...I like the dual spring concept myself.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:41 pm 

I put a slide buffer on my G20,it was beating up the frame pretty good. Also a 22# spring.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:24 pm 

Glockmeister turned out to be backordered...canceled that and ordered one from NDZ via Ebay.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:25 pm 

Noticed something in the vast majority of the load data I've been studying lately....

Dang near all of it uses WLP primers for everything from 45acp to 44 Mag.

I'm no fan of Winchester primers after all the bolt faces I've seen them burn, but that does speak to the usability of other magnum primers in non-magnum rounds.

I think I'm going full on CCI 350 for the 10mm, not because I have to, or even need to.... But simply because I have them.

I'm curious to see the velocity difference between 12.6 grains of #9 with the magnum primer.... It was 1,300 fps with the standard primers.

The only powder I'm pushing hard is #9, with all my other loads, the less powder I use to get the performance I want the better.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:42 pm 

after a larger sample size, the 1,305 fps average I originally recorded has dropped to 1,290 fps.

That is with 12.6 grains of #9 under a 200 grain XTP with a CCI 350 primer.

The 1,290 fps explains why I couldn't get the 190 grain CEB bullets past 1,285 fps...just not enough case capacity for that long bullet to get above that speed.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:15 pm 

A 10mm Auto (Glock 40) side note of my range trip today...

The G40 really, really likes the 150 grain Nosler bullets... The pistol is sighted in with 200 grain XTP's at 80 yards, those will shoot around 3-3.5" at that range from a solid rest.

I shot two 10 round groups using the 150 Noslers, both were 2".....8" lower than the XTP bullets, but 2" groups at 80 yards.... From a Glock.

150 grain Nosler JHP seated to 1.26"
9.6 grains of Power Pistol powder
Starline brass
CCI 300 primer

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:32 pm 

Gonna switch to the Nosler 200 grain bullet in my 10mm.

I'm tired of waiting on Hornady to make a run of the 200 XTP.... I called them months ago, they said they'd have them by the end of October... But they don't.

Tired of messing with them... So Nosler it is, I'd prefer a little tougher bullet than the Nosler... I wish they'd make their 10mm bullets in bonded form... Same bullet, just bonded.

On the bright side... I don't expect any issues with expansion at 100 yards (~1,075 fps)... From 25 - 100 yards I believe they'll be ok....it's that shot at 50 feet that worries me, from the videos and pictures I've seen, this bullet isn't quite tough enough for 1,300+ fps in every situation.

I'm a shoulder shooter, don't like tracking much... Not that I cannot do it (I have a really good blood trailing dog now too)... I'd just prefer to anchor them with a shoulder shot.... But with the Nosler bullets, I'm staying off the shoulder in all cases.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:21 pm 

I’m sure you’ll be fine, the 165gr Speer worked fine on Michigan whitetails, that nosler is a tougher bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:49 pm 

Loaded a few of the Nosler bullets tonight, they do load easier than the XTP's... The Noslers can be seated with a flat seater plug without crushing the nose, at least as long as you don't try to stuff more than 12.6 grains of AA9 under it.

Tomorrow is the G40's first day hunting, I'll be using the 200 grain XTP's to hunt with, I have 18 loaded and left over from the last range trip.... Those are what its sighted in with.

I will be switching to the Noslers when those are gone.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4 Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next