My handgun hunting thread...

Lynn,

Excellent shooting! You have the G40 singing.

JD338

These are expensive, but I won't be using many of them, maybe 20 per year after initial load development and sight in.

I keep reading all this about meplats and penetration, decided since pistols are weak anyway I wanted the best bullet I could find... And no lead... I'm not the tree hugger type where lead is concerned, the reasons I won't use it have nothing to do with condors or water fowl...

It's just the eccentricities of loading it that I don't like or have time for... Oversize bullets and not swaging them when seating, balancing that with enough neck tension to not set back in a semi auto, etc.

In a wheel gun, I'd just buy Beartooth.... But in the Glock, I'm rolling with copper.

I've been emailing back and forth with Cutting Edge Bullets, concerning load data... They gave me some QuickLoad data that I had already come up with myself, calibrated to their bullet specs.

That's all they had, but they are adamant that any reputable load data for a similar weight bullet can be used as long as the bullet is seated per the loading instructions... That is .266" sticking out of the case, which should work fine in most any pistol with proper length brass.... It will come out to 1.25" to 1.26" overall length.

The bullets arrived today but it will be a little bit before I get there to do anything with them.

Decided to try a 20# spring in the G40...the factory RSA has been working fine, no issues at all, but as I got used to shooting the pistol I noticed I can feel the slide bottoming out on the frame pretty hard.

Didn't notice it at first, but as I got accustomed to the feel and sound of shooting it...I noticed it quite handily.

Did some crude math and decided that for my slide/barrel weight (slide, 7" barrel, and a Leupold Deltapoint Pro) a 20 pound spring was more or less equal to a 24# spring on a bare topped G20 slide.

I got the Glockmeister version...I've always used Wolff springs but since they're behind the curve on the Gen 4 Glock assemblies I guess I'll see what ISMI is all about.

I wish someone would get some dual captured setups on the market in increased spring weights...I like the dual spring concept myself.

Glockmeister turned out to be backordered...canceled that and ordered one from NDZ via Ebay.

Noticed something in the vast majority of the load data I've been studying lately....

Dang near all of it uses WLP primers for everything from 45acp to 44 Mag.

I'm no fan of Winchester primers after all the bolt faces I've seen them burn, but that does speak to the usability of other magnum primers in non-magnum rounds.

I think I'm going full on CCI 350 for the 10mm, not because I have to, or even need to.... But simply because I have them.

I'm curious to see the velocity difference between 12.6 grains of #9 with the magnum primer.... It was 1,300 fps with the standard primers.

The only powder I'm pushing hard is #9, with all my other loads, the less powder I use to get the performance I want the better.

after a larger sample size, the 1,305 fps average I originally recorded has dropped to 1,290 fps.

That is with 12.6 grains of #9 under a 200 grain XTP with a CCI 350 primer.

The 1,290 fps explains why I couldn't get the 190 grain CEB bullets past 1,285 fps...just not enough case capacity for that long bullet to get above that speed.

A 10mm Auto (Glock 40) side note of my range trip today...

The G40 really, really likes the 150 grain Nosler bullets... The pistol is sighted in with 200 grain XTP's at 80 yards, those will shoot around 3-3.5" at that range from a solid rest.

I shot two 10 round groups using the 150 Noslers, both were 2".....8" lower than the XTP bullets, but 2" groups at 80 yards.... From a Glock.

150 grain Nosler JHP seated to 1.26"
9.6 grains of Power Pistol powder
Starline brass
CCI 300 primer

Gonna switch to the Nosler 200 grain bullet in my 10mm.

I'm tired of waiting on Hornady to make a run of the 200 XTP.... I called them months ago, they said they'd have them by the end of October... But they don't.

Tired of messing with them... So Nosler it is, I'd prefer a little tougher bullet than the Nosler... I wish they'd make their 10mm bullets in bonded form... Same bullet, just bonded.

On the bright side... I don't expect any issues with expansion at 100 yards (~1,075 fps)... From 25 - 100 yards I believe they'll be ok....it's that shot at 50 feet that worries me, from the videos and pictures I've seen, this bullet isn't quite tough enough for 1,300+ fps in every situation.

I'm a shoulder shooter, don't like tracking much... Not that I cannot do it (I have a really good blood trailing dog now too)... I'd just prefer to anchor them with a shoulder shot.... But with the Nosler bullets, I'm staying off the shoulder in all cases.

I’m sure you’ll be fine, the 165gr Speer worked fine on Michigan whitetails, that nosler is a tougher bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loaded a few of the Nosler bullets tonight, they do load easier than the XTP's... The Noslers can be seated with a flat seater plug without crushing the nose, at least as long as you don't try to stuff more than 12.6 grains of AA9 under it.

Tomorrow is the G40's first day hunting, I'll be using the 200 grain XTP's to hunt with, I have 18 loaded and left over from the last range trip.... Those are what its sighted in with.

I will be switching to the Noslers when those are gone.

12.6 grains of AA9 was a little light under the Nosler...

Went to 12.8 grains with the CCI 350, a little bit of a squeeze to get it in there, but it works without crushing the nose of the bullet.

1,306 fps according to my new chrono (using IR lights) which was double checked against a friend's Labradar...the Labradar came up with 1,307 fps.

The 5 shots and the average are at 15 feet from the muzzle.

I was following your 10mm journey and waiting for hunting season to arrive to see some critter pics and "on game performance" stories, then the season arrives and you go ghost. . .well ???

I hear ya brother. BS events have kicked me to the ground the last two season. . .hurricanes!!! September `16 Hermine put a couple feet of the Gulf of Mexico in my house. . .mullet and blue crabs swimming in the garage, then September `17 almost to the date, Irma comes through and it is de'javu all over again!!! Each year just a couple weeks before hunting season is to start. Needless to say, I've moved out away from the Gulf and live in the woods on a sandhill. . .if it floods here I'll be seeing the Old Guy in the big wooden boat with all the animals - LOL. Alrighty, well, I was just checking in, hopefully this coming season will be better for the both of us!

Back