Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:10 pm

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finally got my own steel target
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:45 pm 

I've wanted one for a long time, just never pulled the trigger until now.

I got a 12" round gong (3/8") and the hardware to make a stand from 2x4's from Shoot Steel.

I'm gonna hang it from rubber instead of chains, I have some fairly heavy belting I'm going to cut the "rubber chains" from.

I'll get a thicker plate later to use with the rifles (270, 280 Ackley, 7mm-08).

Can't wait to get to banging on this at 100 yards with the 41 to get practiced and in shape for deer season this year.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Finally got my own steel target
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:25 pm 

Congratulations on your new steel gong.
Shooting steel is a lot of fun. I've shot the gongs out to 300 yards with my 629 Classic. I've got a Leupold 4x scope on it and I use Kentucky windage.
Have fun!

JD338

Noslers Rock

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:38 am 

There are some good values at shoot steel.com

I got 4 gongs and a silhouette this fall from there with free shipping to Ak!

I got the 2x4 gong hanger and stable clothes clips to the top for extra targets of opportunity.

Shooting steel is a lot of fun. I’m sure you will really enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:16 pm 

What is the best type of bullet to use for low velocity rounds like 38 special?

Plated, FMJ, hollow point.... Not cast... This target and the rounds used on it are mostly for my 12 year old son, he'll be doing the reloading, don't want him messing with lead....also don't want him to catch a ricochet.

I've done the online research and there are conflicting theories.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:25 pm 

As long a your 15+ yards away you should be fine. I’ve shot all kinds of ammo at mine. Generally the gongs are for longer range and static plates for closer range pistol shooting. On the static plates the angle of the steel directs the splatter down.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:14 am 

Thebear_78 wrote:
As long a your 15+ yards away you should be fine. I’ve shot all kinds of ammo at mine. Generally the gongs are for longer range and static plates for closer range pistol shooting. On the static plates the angle of the steel directs the splatter down.

YES! Hanging the steel plates correctly, so that the bullet fragments blast into the ground, is important.

A gong hanging vertically will work just peachy, but as stated, I'd use it at 15 yards and farther.

I like soft bullets for shooting steel with handguns. Plated works fine, if you want to avoid exposed lead.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:38 am 

Look into hi-tek coated bullets. I believe Missouri makes the softest alloy ones in .357 diameter that would be best for low velocities on steel. The lead is completely encapsulated in these until they are fired. They are much less expensive than jacketed bullets, and somewhat less than plated bullets. MBC makes a good product and stands behind it. I did get a defective coating batch in .41 and they made it right for me.

I have shot all types from hard cast .41 mag, soft cast .38, .22rf, jacketed including military alloy 9mm heavy jacket and various rifle bullets, even military 7.62 Tokarev. They all shatter and splatter, but I prefer non-jacketed. With jacketed bullets, especially the encapsulated base fmj or hp, I will find some jacket fragments rebounded to the 10 yard mark or so. Usually the "disc" from the bullet base.

Also, let me know how your rubber stands up. I have used heavy nylon rope. It holds up fairly well on lighter loads, but shreds quickly as the velocity goes up. I would also recommend you build your stand from doubled 2x4 or 2x6, and use screws for easy replacement and repair. Let us know how the heavy rubber holds up. I did cut straps from a tire and bolted a steel swinger on, but didn't get enough swinging action and it was a lot of work. I use steel wire utility flags for mobile targets that I hang from scruffy trees on my hunting land for a field course, stranded cable for more permanent setups. I make up several cable loop setups with a crimper over the winter, they attach to targets with Gr8 bolts, nuts, washer and are lagged into the wood. The flags require frequent replacement but are fast to replace and cost nothing. This spring I was bored and made up 2 swing arms I made from scrap Snowmobile trailing arms forged and bent into an open hook on both ends. Haven't had a chance to hang and test fire this setup though, but I'm hoping it will be permanent.

Last edited by Polaris on Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:16 am, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:43 am 

You will have a blast with the metal ... I bought some a few years back & use it more than I thought I would.

Lots of good deals / Excellent prices from https://shootingtargets7.com

Have fun ...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:04 am 

http://missouribullet.com/details.php?p ... econdary=9 I'd recommend these over about 4 gr of HP38 for a clean burning, low recoil plinking load in .38SPL. Note, this is still a relatively full power load for that "big gun" feel, recoil is reduced by the low bullet weight. Try trail boss or titegroup if you want to reduce farther. I've found 4-4.5 of HP38 to burn clean and produce good accuracy at this bullet weight.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4