With my son at the range today:

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Well, it warmed up to an amazing 53 or so today here. My youngest son and I tossed some guns in his car and headed out to the range, grinning all the way.

Started out with him shooting 25 from his 12 ga Rem 870 while I tossed clay pigeons. The lad needs some work... Still, he hasn't got a lot of shotgun experience, and we were both laughing pretty good too.

Went to the .22 semi-auto Ruger target pistol and did some accuracy work. His trigger finger work is getting real good. Sped things up a bit and got into some "combat" type shooting - and again he did pretty good with the .22 pistol.

Hauled out the ancient .357 mag S&W Model 19, with a mere 2.5" barrel. Stuffed it full of some old .38 Special +P loads, and he had at it. Not bad, but not nearly as accurate as he was with the .22 pistol.

Then after he watched me blaze away with my .45 1911 Kimber for a while, he wanted to try it. Now, I don't remember him ever even handling the 1911 before. So, I gave him a short class on how to shoot it, put the last remaining magazine of practice ammo in it and turned him loose. This may have been a good thing, or a costly mistake. He shot that thing like he was pre-programmed for the 1911! Every single shot landed in the bullseye, and he didn't waste any time doing it.

Dang. Maybe next year he can teach me to shoot a 1911... Meanwhile, I think he's looking up which Kimber he wants for his birthday. Sheesh. It might turn out to be expensive for me, but he really got along good with that .45 Kimber & 230 gr "hardball" loads...

Sorry guys - we were having so much fun, I forgot to snap any photos.

Guy

Now, that is funny, Guy. Every dad needs to buy his son a Kimber 1911. Good show.

Guy,

That was a funny story. I bet you didn't see that one comming, did ya? And I always thought raising girls was expensive! :lol:

JD338

DrMike":1n47kgoy said:
Now, that is funny, Guy. Every dad needs to buy his son a Kimber 1911. Good show.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Awesome deal Guy. Your boy with a Kimber 45 in his hands could probably bring a small droplet of moisture to a Dad's eye!!! Glad he is a natural with it, but then again, it is THE combat weapon to have! Scotty

Yeah - for college graduation he may just find a decent 1911 all wrapped up. I think that would make a pretty good graduation present. He's a good kid, working hard in school. I won't mind treating him to a nice pistol someday. Not at all.

Guy,

That is just awesome!
You have done a great job of raising your son and you should be very proud of him.
We are all proud of him too!

A kimber would make for an excellent graduation gift.

Here is the link to get you started. :mrgreen:
http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/tactical-ii

JD338

I'll say! Consequently, Guy, I'm graduating this year.

ROTFLMAO, thanks Doc!!!!!

Guy.. Thats just one of the joys of parenting!!! Seeing your kid take to somehting naturally.. LOL, of course it always tends to be with the ones we favor most too..... Perfect Grad present me thinks too.

Couple more years until he graduates from college. I think I can save up for a 1911 for him by then. And re-barrel "his" .257 Weatherby as well. Sheesh... Kids...

It was pretty funny seeing how well he took to the .45/1911 platform. Kind of amazing...

That is a great kid! Look out, he will be asking about SWAT or something along those lines sooner than you think! Scotty

Laughin'. The "kids" have grown up watching me prep my gear and train for SWAT, then grab my bag & rifle and head out moments after a phone call. When they were young it was all that USMC stuff. They've had a fair bit of range time over the years, mostly with rifles though.

I think this young one is too smart to get into law enforcement. He actually likes working with nice people. Weird. Looks to me like he's headed into medicine in one way or another.

Guy

I think that is one of the most profound moments as a parent, and that is when you see them take to something like they were born doing it. Ya kinda stand there and go, "Hells Bells, thats kool".. And then ya want to feed the fire...

Again, priceless.....

It is funny how as a parent we tend to hope they dont follow in our footsteps... Lol..... Find something smarter to do kiddo....

Rod

Guy Miner":2c9o6sz3 said:
Laughin'. The "kids" have grown up watching me prep my gear and train for SWAT, then grab my bag & rifle and head out moments after a phone call. When they were young it was all that USMC stuff. They've had a fair bit of range time over the years, mostly with rifles though.

I think this young one is too smart to get into law enforcement. He actually likes working with nice people. Weird. Looks to me like he's headed into medicine in one way or another.

Guy

I really wonder what my son will do. He really likes the military and the Marine Corps, but I think he would attend college first and then maybe become an officer. Kids way smarter than I, I was in Parris Island 10 days after I graduated from high school! I wouldn't be disappointed in the least if he was to join any service, I just hope these wars have been cleared out before that time! Scotty

Guy -
Why didn't they give us a decent 1911 to shoot in the Corps??? Mine sucked
Nothing more fun than watching a son/daughter do something better than you can!! I remember telling my son about running a 15:40 3mile run for a final PFT score and having him run a 15:25 5K in high school and kinda give me the BTDT look :lol:. They will only be as good as the goals we set for them and they are willing to achieve.

257 Ackley":kmooekx7 said:
Guy -
Why didn't they give us a decent 1911 to shoot in the Corps??? Mine sucked
Nothing more fun than watching a son/daughter do something better than you can!! I remember telling my son about running a 15:40 3mile run for a final PFT score and having him run a 15:25 5K in high school and kinda give me the BTDT look :lol:. They will only be as good as the goals we set for them and they are willing to achieve.

Holy smokes Joel, you didn't even use a rifle to deer hunt as a kid did you! At 15:40, a buck knife would have sufficed as you ran those poor deer down! Scotty

Back