Bisley grips

Tooter

Beginner
Oct 23, 2009
I have a Ruger Bisley 45 with ugly black laminated grips. I want to replace them with walnut. I will be shooting stout loads (but safe) and was wondering about your opinions concerning smooth or checkered grips. Most all pictures I have seen with Linebaugh's conversions have smooth. Under recoil, would the checkered grips be too rough on my hand?

I have a regular 45 Colt BH with a 5 1/2" barrel and with heaver loads and the stock smooth grips it was a pain to shoot. There was no way to keep it from flipping up and the grip slipping in your hand and the frame just under the hammer smacking you in the web of the hand. OUCH! I put a one piece Hogue grip on it and turned it into a pussy cat to handle. To me pretty is as pretty does. I would try one of those slip on rubber grips or some type of rubber grip tape on your existing grips to see if it helped you control the recoil. Just my 2 cents worth.

Tooter,

I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk and it would roll in my hand during recoil. I put a Pachmyer grip on it and it solved the problem. This grip was much bigger and it fit my hand better. I sold that pistol and bought my S&W 629 Classic with the Houge grip. It fits well and shoots great, even with heavy loads.

I would say get the checkered grips as it will help give you a better grip, especially in cold/wet hunting conditions.

JD338

Thanks for the response guys. I'd like to stay with the same size grips, as anything bigger feels clubby in my hand. I really like how the Eagle Gunfighter grips look, and they are offered in both smooth and checkered. Reading Sixguns by Keith last night, Elmer really liked ivory, saying it was "stickier" than wood, but also mentioned some very good grips having checkering. I won't spring for genuine ivory, but would be OK with imitation. It probably wouldn't be as grippy as real ivory, but I think it's available checkered. Just not sure if checkering would be too rough on the skin, or if it's better for the grip frame to roll a little bit under recoil.

Tooter. I have Ruger Bisleys in .44 magnum and .45 Colt. The .44 has fake ivory grips and they aren't too bad even a slippery as they are. The .44 has the 7.5" barrel. The .45 Bisley has the 5.5" barrel and just the stock Ruger grips. They ain't pretty but they are walnut.
Frankly, I haven't seen the need for checkering but as the Bisly grip recpoils in a more straight back line that the regular single action grip, I wouldn't think they'd chew your hands up. Well at least not very much. :lol:
I have one Ruger Super Blackhawk with the 4 5/8" barrel and the standard Blackhawk grip. Oh how I would like to replace that grip with the Bisley style. That gun is flat out painful to shoot. I put a set of bigger grips on that one but they were just too ugly and looked way out of balance for the rest of the gun.
Paul B.

Back