Ruger SBH 44

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
I plan on purchasing one of these real shortly. Theres one down in our local pawn shop, the stainless/wood 7.5" bbl for $500, lightly used. I've always wanted a 44, and with something I can put a scope on to use for general plinking, coyote calling, and maybe the occasion deer/black bear or elk. I've owned a Blackhawk in 41 mag about a year and half ago and it was a nice solid good shooting pistol, I just wanted something bigger still and something I could more easily attach a scope to.

So I'm thinking about loading the good ol 240g XTP w/H110. Should net me around 1400fps and would work on everything from coyotes to deer/bear just fine I would think, and from what I've read its a reliable 125 yard performer on deer/coyotes and 75 yards for elk/bear.

I need to know a good scope base for this revolver. Something that wont take a gunsmith to drill and tap. Obviously needs to be pretty sturdy. Haven't really found much out there. Any help on rings would be appreciated as well.

I also need advice on a scope. I live and hunt/shoot mostly in open terrain and like to shoot longer ranges so naturally this will get shot further then normal. Was looking at the variable power 2-6, or 2-7, or 2-8, bushnell elite 3200, nikon encore, burris pistol scope. Was thinking the burris would be ideal with the bplex. Your thoughts? Should I go with a straight 4x? If I did this, would probly go the leupold route. But I'm thinking I want and will need the variable for 200-300 yard shooting.

Remmy

The Ruger RH is a great hunting handgun and the 44 Rem Mag is a proven performer on game. You want penetration and the 240 gr bullets will work well on deer and bear. For elk, I would recommend going up to the 300 gr bullets.
I have taken a few WT deer with my S&W 629 Classic with a Leupold M8 2x scope which is fine out to about 100 yds. A 4x would be better at 100 yds. I would shy away from Burris. Spend the money on a Leupold and don't look back. You can find some decent priced scopes on 24 hr campfire classifieds.
I have Leupold standard mounts and it has been a very solid mount for me.

I load the Nosler 240 gr JHP wit 23.5 grs H110 and it works well on deer. I shot this doe last fall at 60 yds. You can see the enterence wound in the photo, the bullet exited tight behind the shoulder on the other side.
IMG_0323.jpg

JD338

My plinking/general purpose load is about the same as Jim's, I use the 240gr Nosler JHP over 23.5gr of H110, WW cases and CCI350 primers. It clocks about 1325 out of my 7.5" SBH.

I love my pistol. It is unreal how accurate it is, and I am only using open sights. I think with a scope it would be unreal. I bought it is a close range affair and only shoot it out to about 100 yards max. At 50 yards it isn't really too tough to keep all my holes in a baseball sized group with a decent rest. Don't really know what I would do if I wanted to scope it, but I would think Leupold would have something for it.

I have been shooting a bunch of the 250gr Beartooth hardcast bullets out of it also. They are also very accurate and have a huge meplat. They also chrono about 1350 out of my Ruger. Also, a new stainless SBH can be had for around 525-550 so it might be worth looking around for one. Not that I have ever seen one worn out. Scotty

DSC_0050.jpg

250gr Hardcast load
DSC03263.jpg

Scotty, what's your load for the 250 cast?

I paid $530 for my blued SBH fresh from the factory.

Heath, I am shooting 24gr's of H110/CCI250/WW cases/250grWFN BTB. I got the data and loads from Beartooth Bullets, Marshall Stanton.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/open_sight/index.htm

You will have to scroll down a bit for the article, but it only clocks about 1350 out of my pistol, as least my chrono. It is a serious bullet though. Although I am thinking of trying some 300's, I can't see that 250 not shooting through alot of meat and bone. For the money, the BTB cast bullets are excellent. I still have some I plan on trying out of my 45-70, but man, they are done right and TOUGH as all get out. The only bullet I wished I could try would be the 250gr PT, but the cast bullets are alot cheaper and probably do just as good of work in the 44. Scotty

I shoot quite a bit of .44 Magnums and have taken exactly two deer with a Super Blackhawk. The first deer was shot through the shoulder with a Remington 240 gr. factory hollow point. Very accurate load but the bullet on the deer left the jacket imbedded in the shoulder blade while the lead core kept on, going deep enough to kill the deer. The second der was shot in the same general place, the shoulder and the bullet was a 250 gr. Keith style semi-wadcutter over 22.0 gr. of Hercules #2400. Dunno the velocity as no personally owned affordable chronographs back the (Mid 1970's) Bullet punched throught both shoulders and AFAIK it may still be going. FWIW, that load is now consider to be two full grains over maximum in most manuals, probably because the Alliant version of #2400 may just be a bit faster burning. My current load is that same cast bullet over 24.0 gr. of W-296. You might want to look at a Super Blackhawk using the Bisley type grip frame. It's a lot more comfortable for shooting the hotter loads.
A word to the wise on 300 gr. bullets. They can be quite accurate and probably no problem if using a scope. However, with the factory issue sights, evem when set for the lowest elevation setting will shoot from 6 to 8" high at 25 yards. If you want to use them, you would need to raise the front sight and make it higher.
The Ruger Redhawk is a more expensive gun but it has replacable front sight inserts which would make it a better choice for the heavyweight bullets. Put a better set of grips on a Redhawk and the higher front sight and you'd have a better hunting rig, even if it does need wheels. They are heavy. That wiil cut down some of th recoil though. My wife won't touch my S&W 629 or any of my Blackhawks but that 7.5" Redhawk she has decided is her baby.
FWIW, I don't shoot jacketed bullets in my .44's anymore. The Keith style SWC's work just fine.
Paul B.

Back