357 magnum?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
The Python has always been my dream! Anyway if you were to buy one what modern day made 357 mag revolver would you consider?

FOTIS, I really love my Taurus Model 65. I think they now only make te 66 (with adjustable sights) but if I was looking for a revolver, I'd strongly consider the Taurus.

I have my "ultimate" .357 - the S&W Model 19, with a mere 2.5" barrel. It's a honey to carry or to shoot. Believe it was big Bill Jordan who had a hand (or a paw in his case) influencing S&W to produce what was once believed to be the finest revolver a lawman could carry.

Lighter by far than the previously produced N-frame .357's, and "strong enough" for my purposes.

If you intend to shoot a lot of stout-loaded .357's, the 686 is going to hold up better than my 19 will. I do most of my practice with .38's, and switch to .357's for carry and an occasional session at the range.

In retrospect, I think your choice will depend on what you want to do with the .357... I carry mine mostly while off-duty, hiking or bicycling in the local hills. Small and light enough to carry easily and inconspicuously, powerful enough and accurate enough to take care of most problems that could arise. I've had several different .357's and this one is by far my favorite.

Good luck on your search, there are some mighty fine .357's from which to choose.

Guy

BTW - Coonan has reintroduced their great semi-auto .357 magnum, and it's supposed to be quite a pistol...

Ruger SP 100 for double action and Ruger Black Hawk for single action. Hard to beat.

This is what I currently own. I have had it for a couple of years and it is my standard nightstand gun. Taurus 66 7 shot loaded with 125 JHP.

pix393495094.jpg

Fotis, this is an old post but I thought that I would chime in and contribute. My favorite .357 Mag is the Ruger Bisley model from the 1990's with the 7-1/2 inch barrel. I still have one of these and like it a lot for bullet speed and accuracy, plus the rosewood grips.

70160.jpg

Nathan Fillion is a Canadian actor. Firefly was a space western series that ran on Fox in 2002. It didn't do well, and was cancelled after eleven episodes. However, it has become a cult favourite once it was released on DVDs. It won a number of awards for special effects.

Realize the Model 29 is a 44 but always wanted something like it chambered in a 357 Rem Mag. I too am impressed Dr. Mike...I like the show and I am not huge into Sci-fi but this show speaks to me on a personal level. Cheesy I know but its just about a guy and his crew whose only goal in life is to do what it takes to survive and enjoy their freedom.

Like the looks of the Taurus 66-7 as well.

I don't need a 357 but I think I am going to sell the only 357 I have which is a T/C Contender with a 10" barrel and get a revolver. Something with a 5.5-7.5" barrel.

I have been eyeballing the Blackhawk Convertible .357/9mm. I have had a couple of 686's, one 6" that was crazy accurate, but for some reason I like the old single actions.

I almost picked up a 6" 686 to scope and hunt with using 180gr cast but I did not.

I don't need another .357 Mag, I already have a 4" S&W 65 and my woods bumming gun is a SBH 4 5/8" .44 Mag.

I bought a SW 686..... :mrgreen:

pix734575983.jpg

Man, I would like a 357 for carrying like the 686 or a short barreled SBH.

Fotis - can't fault you for the 686 at all. Terrific revolver very suitable for hunting or target shooting as well. It should stand up to a lot of shooting, and deliver pleasing accuracy too.

Nice choice!

Guy

Fotis,
It will be interesting how you compare the 686 with your nightstand Taurus. My son finished the year with a pair of 4"er's - a 629 and a 686. They are just fun! The best part for me was that after having Dad do his loading from the beginning, he decided it was time to get his own gear and really learn to load his own. He got the Lee Classic turret and we both learned how to set it up and make it work. He has limited space, so we rigged a tabletop c-clamp mounting board for the press. Everything fits in a vinyl snap top bin. With a little practice, he's doing 100+ loads an hour, no problem.

Shooting the bigger revolvers should count towards our mancard, right? :lol:

Back