The Contender 14" 30-30AI and Noslers strike again.

1Shot

Handloader
Dec 5, 2008
It was a frustrating deer hunting season this year but yet successful in the end. In all I put 4 doe and 2 bucks in the freezer. Two doe and one buck fell victim to the wonderful Nosler 125 gr ballistic tip pushed by 33 grs IMR 4198 from a WW case and set off by Wolf LR primers and fired from my 14" MGM barreled 30-30AI T/C Contender with an average velocity of 2670 fps. All shots were between 80 and 83 yards with the two doe dropping in their tracks and the buck took the 30 yard heart shot mad dash before he was down for the count.
2011Deer-1.jpg

2011Deer001.jpg

2011Deer003.jpg

Appears to be fine table fare there. Congratulations on a successful season.

1 shot,

Well done! Congratulations to your success with your Contender.

JD338

Great shooting buddy. That little 30-30AI is just stomping them deer! Scotty

So 1Shot, what do you do with all your venison? Do you butcher it yourself or have it processed. Cuz you are going to have some work ahead of you.

Long

I do my own processing of the deer. I have done so many that I average 17 to 20 minutes from the time I hang one up until I have it skinned and all the meat de-boned off it and use nothing but a knife. I place the meat into a 48 qt cooler and cover with cold water and add between 1 and 2 cups of white vinegar depending on the size and let set for 12 hrs then drain rinse in cold water and process. This pulls most of the blood out of the meat and will loosen it up some. I ground the two bucks and one doe into hamburger. That takes about 2 hrs for each deer from start to finish cleaning up in my camper. The sink is just big enough to wash off a back strap size piece of meat at a time. It is a trick to wash up a pan that I put my meat into after cutting up into strips to feed the grinder that is bigger than my sink. :lol: I section the muscle groups on the hams and usually cut the rump roast and flank into two roast each. I usually end up with 6 roast size pieces of meat for each ham. I cut the back strap into 3 equal lengths unless it is from a really big deer which usually makes 4 pieces. This is the perfect size portion for a meal for me and the wife. I put all meat into zip lock type freezer bags and put them into a big trash bag and place them into my hunting buddies chest freezer and in 24 hrs they are rock solid. I can get two deer into a 48 qt cooler and the meat is still rock solid after a 6 hr ride home where they are put into my freezer. I use the crock pot a lot for cooking up my meat and use the burger, which by the way is just deer meat ground up with no fat or anything added, mostly scrambled for stuff like tacos or spaghetti.

Back