Carry during gun seasons

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
How many of you carry a handgun while rifle or bow hunting? What caliber, and how do you carry?

I carry my Kimber 45 in a belt holster during all seasons.

Long

It is not legal to carry a handgun during the archery season here in NY. I'm guessing that many states may have a similar prohibition.

I have often carried a S&W 44mag during the rifle season for deer or bear. I use a regular hip holster. The Nosler 250gr Partition WAS a great bullet for just about anything I was likely to shoot with a handgun. :roll: :lol:

I carry my Kimber Tactical Pro II 45 ACP in a cutom IWB holster during all seasons.
HBEDCTuckableKimberTacticalProII-1.jpg

HBEDCTuckableKimberTacticalProII.jpg

JD338

When I hunt on my own property, I carry a Ruger stainless Blkhawk 4 5/8 in .45 LC loaded with 325 gr. LBT semi-wadcutters, along with the rifle choice of the day. At less than 100 yards, the LC will drive that bullet thru any white-tail buck I may encounter.

I will carry my Ruger SBH 44RM during the gun season here in Va. Usually tote it in my back pack as I am not too wary of predators around these parts. If I am positioned in a spot, where I think I could hit a deer with the pistol, I pull it out. I bought the pistol expressly for carrying while packing meat. I do need to tailor a carry rig built more for back packing though. Carrying it on the hip is fine, but when I have a larger pack on, the hip method doesn't work for me.

I am so used to carrying a sidearm that being without one is kinda weird. I don't worry too much when I am carrying a rifle though. I figure my primary should be able to handle anything I come across! Scotty

I usually have a handgun with me. Which one varies a bit, depending on whim more than anything else.

When I'm bear hunting, or hunting elk or deer in bear country, the .44 S&W is usually with me. I want some suds on tap if I need to shoot a bear. I'll carry it usually in a belt holster, strong side. Have also found I can put an inexpensive nylon holster on the waist band of my Nimrod hunting pack. Carries pretty comfortably that way.

Although I bought a .500 S&W right after they were introduced, ordered it before I ever saw one, I've never hunted with it or carried it for protection - rather big & heavy, and I get the .44 in action quicker. I do have a shoulder-holster rig for it though.

At other times I carry my .45 1911, or a compact .357 mag revolver. They're easier to pack, but don't have the punch of the .44 of course.

In Washington, a law was recently passed, allowing bow hunters to carry a handgun. It was really more of a recognition that the Right to Keep and Bear Arms doesn't cease just because one is a bowhunter.

Guy

Usually the 629 goes with.

29.jpg

29b.jpg

It now wears classic target style grips.

I carry a USFA, Bisley (4-1/2 inch), .45 Colt SAA in a Kirkpatrick custom, crossdraw holster and belt. This is open carry and I carry it loaded with (5) and hammer over an empty chamber. Ever since I was rolled over by three men on horseback who tagged my deer and dared me to do something about it, I have open carried.

I am getting so I never leave the house without a Handgun. Generally I am carrying either a Glock Model 21SF or a Glock Model 26. Mine are always concealed either in an Inside the Waistband Holster or a Shoulder Holster.

Larry

my Kimber .45 sits on my hip during hunting season. I carry it concealed back home during the cooler months and then switch over to my P238 during T-shirt weather

I carry a S&W 357PD which is a 41 Mag. Scandium frame. It weighs about 21 oz. 4" barrel. Light enough to carry on fanny pack belt and almost a twin to the 44 mag energy wise. 210 gr. bullets at 1300 fps have less kick which is nice in that light a frame. It will stop a wolf or finish off pretty much anything. It's a warm, fuzzy feeling and if you've ever used any Ultra mag to finish off an animal (375 for instance) with a head shot you'll remember the event. :shock:
Greg

I always carry when out and about. It can be anything from a .380 Bodyguard to a .45 Colt, 4-5/8's Colt Bisley. I always carry a SAA for self protection wherever possible.

I always pack, depends on the season, as to what I carry. If it's bird season I carry a S&W 317,in .22 LR. But I always have a Winchester 30-30 Trapper in the scabbard. With the 16" barrel its pretty handy. Off season I carry a S&W 360 in .357, and during the fall and winter I pack a S&W 329 in .44 Mag.

This last season I packed a Springfield XDM 45 auto with a Blackhawk Serpa Holster. Before packed the Ruger SP101 357mag.

This year I bought a new Ruger Redhawk "Hunter" and carried that with me during Michigan firearrms season, the two seasons before that I carried my SR9.

Ashman,

I have a buddy that wants to get the Redhawk or Super Redhawk in 454. He plants to shoot 45LC out of it with a 2-4" barrel. He has fairly small hands. There is no place in our area where he can handle one. What would you recommend for him concerning grips?

Long

I have small hands and shoot mostly large frame, single action Colt and Ruger revolvers. I use the Hogue, Soft Rubber Grips for most of my large frame revolvers but I also use Hogue and other wood grips, because I prefer wood esthetically. I shoot a lot of single action big bore and also have been using some Bisley design grips on those to hang on better. The Bisley are closer to the cylinder and fit me much better but the recoil can be greater. Sometimes a Trigger Shoe, like the Ace models, will help people with small hands get for consistant trigger pulls.

longwinters":jtopnus2 said:
What would you recommend for him concerning grips?

I'm glad Oldtrader3 was able to answer your question, cause I had no idea.

Can your friend go to the Gander Mountaian in Marquette to handle one?

Back