5.7x28mm water jug test.

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
OK got the first video done.

45 gr Sierra soft point (not the hornet bullet)

Load was 10 gr of LILGUN for a velocity of 1900 fps or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnZnqPJ_qKw

The bullet went through 5 water jugs, the 1/2" wooden backstop and bounced of my shed!

Never recovered the bullet but the impression of the bullet on the shed wood looked perfectly oblong and showed no expansion.

I will be testing the 40 gr Nosler BT and the 50 gr Nosler BT next.

This thing is a penetrator from hell!

Yup the 45 Sierra was too tough. Just tumbled and penetrated like crazy.

Funny thing is that fully loaded with 20 rounds is lighter than an unloaded 1911 45 acp

I've had a little experience with the 5.7 - fun - but I don't carry one. It is however, a neat idea and a neat cartridge, and one heck of a lot of fun to shoot.

The FN P90 on full auto is really something. Doggone sights never budge off target even on long strings of fire.

I shot one in an FN pistol last weekend. Very cool piece of gear. Very accurate though. It was a blast to shoot. Scotty

Fotis,
that round is wicked for penetrating. So much so that certain ammo types are no longer available to the public because of the penetration it offers against a bullet proof vest. When the ammo first hit the shelves you could get any type but that was short lived because of the astonishing performance of certain specific loads. Even the more political correct round is still wicked in the penetration department.

Everything the folks do at FN these days is just fantastic.

Back