Best concealed carry 40 S&W?

Greg Nolan

Handloader
Nov 25, 2004
There's always room for one more handgun. So what is a good, light, dependable 40 S&W ca. concealed carry handgun?
I have the Kimber 45acp and a J frame S&W. My mouse gun is a Seecamp 32ACP. They work great but something real light and small with 40 S&W power might replace one.
I'm of course concerned about dependability and concealability.
Thanks Everyone
Greg

Greg Nolan":xf26u74c said:
There's always room for one more handgun. So what is a good, light, dependable 40 S&W ca. concealed carry handgun?
I have the Kimber 45acp and a J frame S&W. My mouse gun is a Seecamp 32ACP. They work great but something real light and small with 40 S&W power might replace one.
I'm of course concerned about dependability and concealability.
Thanks Everyone
Greg

Greg, seems pretty tough to beat Gocks for this. They are reliable as heck. Plus there accurate pistols.

When I started carrying, I had a 4" Taurus 357Mag. Worked well enough for riding in a holster centered in my lap while running a paper route, but not so much for carry IWB or otherwise. I figured I'd have to compromise on what I wanted to carry to get the best match between small size and big power. Absolute reliability and serviceable accuracy for personal defense situations were the two key criteria. What I ended up with was a Glock 23. It is a spectacular carry weapon. I've never had a failure to feed with it, though my brother managed to stove pipe it a few times when he first tried it out, due to letting the gun flip up too much in his wrist. He corrected his form and no problem since. That gun has been all over, carried in a variety of IWB, Small of the back, and hip holsters. It's been sweaty, wet from rain, wet from being on a boat, and dirty from being in my holster when I slipped on a wet incline and slid down into a ravine I was climbing down. Is it pretty? Nope. But it just does one thing - works the same all the time. Accuracy is 2-4" at 25yds in any weather. I can get it better if I'm taking time and shooting for groups, but in drills I could always get 2-4" out of 5-10 shots. I cannot more highly recommend a carry weapon than a Glock, and if 40S&W is your flavor, the 23 deserves strong consideration. There are a lot of imitators out there now, but the Glock is, in my opinion, still the best.

Greg what I use is the Springfield Armory XD40 sub-compact in 40 S&W. It is a great pistol and is very reliable and accurate. In fact I have an XD40 with the 4" barrel also and I shoot the sub-compact better! I carry it every day, all day so it see's a variety of conditions. Most of the time I carry it in an ankle holster, but when the weather is nice and I have shorts on I carry it in a belt holster.

It's a great gun and has proved to be extremely reliable. Another poster stated the same about the Glock. I personally don't care for Glocks just because of the way they fit in your hand, but I do know they make a fine pistol.

I had a Glock 23 for a few years and now my oldest boy has it. Easy to carry and shot great. For .40 I don't know how you could do better.

Long

Kahr PM 40, there's nothing like it. The Kahr PM 9 has the same terminal performance record and holds more ammo if you're open to cartridge selection ideas.

Been carrying a Glock for over 20 years. I also have a Springfield XD which I like a little better. You won't go wrong with either. See which you like better. The XD has over taken the Glock as the most popular OD with my guys the last couple of years

Hard to beat a Glock 23 in my book for what you want. I carry a Glock 26 9mm most of the time. Some of the reasons that I carry a Glock is they are ultra reliable, they have NO manual thumb type safety or de-cocker that in a stuff hits the fan situation many people forget to flip off and will get you killed. They are really accurate right out of the box. They will take a licking and keep on ticking. And for the size and mag capacity are light weight. If you get a G-23 get the pinky finger mag extensions which really help with control and shoot ability.

I like the CW40...it carries nice and easy. We have a pair of them outfitted with night sights.

I have all of the Glock 40s and the G23 is always with me. My favorite CCW pistol out of all of my Glocks and the S&W M&Ps, Sigs, Springfield XD, Berreta M9, 1911s I have had.

I've shot a mess of different pistols and own some too. I've settled on the Sig P239 for a compact carry pistol that can handle 40S&W and 357Sig with ease. The Glocks are great weapons but most don't feel good in my hands. I've been very impressed with the Springfield XDs. If I didn't have the Sig, I'd have an XD. The Beretta -90 series are excellent but I'm not a fan of their controls. I do not like their Px4 Storms. I own a Kahr PM-9 and love it. Great ultra-conceal piece but the PM-40 is a handful. Their P/K/TP/CW -40 pistols are very impressive. Kahr is a very under-appreciated firearm company in my eyes.

You really need to get your hands around as many as pistols as you can to get an idea as to which style, control-system and size you like. Then shoot them. It's worth spending the moolah to rent some guns and find something that you like. There are very few stinkers in today's firearms scene.

Good luck!

I have a Glock 23C that I carry pretty regularly, but have been fondling the M&P compact's for a bit now and will probably end up picking one up that will become my daily carry gun. A bit smaller for easier concealment and I'm just as accurate with it as my 23 and I like the trigger in the M&P quite a bit more than the glock, which is probably why I can hold the same accuracy as with the longer barreled 23. I know our state police have switched from the glock's to the M&P's and the troopers I've talked to seem to much prefer the M&P over their Glock's.

Back