1911 Holster

Tooter

Beginner
Oct 23, 2009
My Ruger SR1911 finally came in and I need some OWB leather for it. Being a fan of the pancake style for my other handguns, I was looking at the Simply Rugged Cuda. I have read good things about it and was wondering if any of you guys had experience with it or had other suggestions.

Tooter,

I have a IWB custom holster from HBE Leather Works in SLC, UT for my 1911. Very comfortable, even for all day+ carry.
HBEDCTuckableKimberTacticalProII-1.jpg

JD338

Have been using an open top Dillon LTD for a lot of years. Pretty secure for an open-top design, and quick to draw from. Has held up well to a lot of years of use. Very stiff, sturdy leather and comfortable on the belt.
IMG_5127.jpg

Also use an old Bianchi pancake style holster with a thumb strap. It works well and is very easy to conceal except it sits a little lower than the Dillon holster. Very comfortable, not as stiff as the Dillon leather.

Have a very nice Kramer Horsehide IWB that I bought quite a while ago, but never became a fan of the IWB design. I really ought to sell that holster to someone. It hasn't been used much.

Just as important as the holster is getting a REAL gunbelt. Something of stiff, heavy leather that will actually support the weight of a loaded 1911, and maybe a mag pouch as well.

Buy quality. Buy once.

Guy

Alessi.jpg

This is an Alessi CQC-S.... have this one for my 1911 and another for the Wife's Browning BGM.

For mag pouches.... I use Milt Sparks mag pouches....

Milt Sparks and Alessi are truly handcrafted holsters..... and worth the money and wait....

But this is just my opinion.......

Mortis":9oiaj0sm said:
Milt Sparks and Alessi are truly handcrafted holsters..... and worth the money and wait....

But this is just my opinion.......

You're not alone. Nice leather.

I've been using the Milt Sparks BN55 in horsehide for my Ed Brown for about 3 yrs now. I LOVE it. Since I open carry, I added a little shark skin to the holster to dress it up.

Alan

EBSFBN55close.jpg

I think that holster that copy the original Askins Avenger style open top holster (like GSSP's Sparks) is the best for "off duty" or concealed carry. I especially like the reinforced top so you don't have to "fiddle" with it to get the gun reholstered. Galco, Milt Sparks, et al. Kirkpatrick leather makes a real nice one and is inexpensive.

I'll have to second that a good belt is equally as important. Holsters are much to your liking, but something very well made with nice heavy duty leather and stitching is very important. I just purchased a leather belt from Galco and man did it make it nicer to carry.

Back