What will help me see front sight?

roysclockgun

Handloader
Dec 17, 2005
I am 70 and must use eye drops twice a day for glaucoma. I have corrected vision and wear glasses, not contacts. Yesterday, for the first time, I played a silouette shooting game. "Lollipops" (4") were at 45 yards. "Animals" were as far back as 70 yards. My first session of around 20 rounds was 8:00 A.M. and that was my best, in terms of hits. In the second session, I began to experience more fuzziness and could not see the front sight. Blacking the front sight helped a little. By the third session it was past noon and I believe that the changing light on my sight was also hurting my ability to align the sights, even though the firing line is under cover.
What color should I paint the front sight to help me see it more clearly? The revolver is a 1968 Blackhawk .357 with 6 1/2" barrel. I also may try my Colt 1911A1.
During the session, I use artificial tears to keep my eyes moist. I also drink water throughout.
I like the game and would like to fire more than 20 round on an outing.

I believe this is something worth discussing with your ophthalmologist. Generally, however, you want contrast that will draw your eye to the sight. If shooting against a light background, a lighter contrast would be preferable. If shooting against a dark background, a light contrast would be the choice. This is the reason for the gold bead, as it is a good compromise for many people.

This was talked bout a while back on another site, I'm thinking it was 24 Hour Campfire where people who had cataract surgery could once more see and hunt with plain old iron sights. I'm considering it my self for several reasons. One is I've been horribly nearsighted since 6 years old and while I see OK with glasses, I can't use iron sights worth spit as I just see a blur for the front sight. My wife recently failed the eye test at the Department of Motor Vehicles and went to my eye doctor (Opthamologist) and literally and figuratively could not read the eye chart, not even the largest letter. :shock: The nurse and I thought she was fooling around but in fact she could not read any of the chart. The doc gave her a thorough exam and stated she had cataracts and would need surgery. After the surgery (lens iplantation) and the healing period she now no longer needs to wear glases and can see the sights on one of my rifles well enough to give me competition at the range and I'm using a scope. :shock: 8) I have to have an exam every year because I'm diabetic and it has been determined that I too have cataracts. They're just not that bad yet. I'm debating their removal at this point in time. If I do it, the only time I will have to wear glasses is when I'm reading or working on the computer and even that could be a maybe. My wife almost doesn't need reading glasses at all.
I only mention this as a potential option. The thought of some dude digging around in my eyeballs really does scare the crap out of me but I will get it done well before hunting season. My exam to do it will be in mid August, two days before my birthday. How much improvement can be expected? My wife went from God only knows what to 20/25 in both eyes and the doc expects even more improvement. My right eye is 20/800 and my left 20/600 so even 20/25 looks very good to me.
Roy, Dr. Mike's suggestion is a good one. Talk to your eye doctor and see what he thinks. Just might solve your problem.
Paul B.

Paul B.,
To provide more info. Four years ago, I did get a new lens in my right (master) eye and it made a world of difference. Because it was done by the VA, they would only do the one eye, as my other eye did not yet have a cataract. They built some near sightedness into the new lens, in order to have one eye not struggle to get with the other eye, so I still wear glasses, although I see much better with my right than with my left.
If both lenses were replaced, I could throw the glasses away, but that has not happened and I am thankful for the shooting abiliity that I still have. Last year I took my pronghorn at 275 yds. and three years ago, I took a good mule deer buck at over 400 yards, so I am thankful that I can do that with the new lens. All that, of course, is when using a scope. This new game with a revolver hand gun uses iron sights, which for years I have not had to do, is something else again.
I may just play around with painting the front sight blade and see if that improves my being able to see the sight.
Best,
Steven A.

Painting the front sight may give you an idea if a better front sight will help. If so, take a look at the express sights from XS sights:

http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nID=s ... ID=handgun

That front sight of theirs is very big. It's not conducive to fine accuracy at longer ranges, but it shows up well, simply because it's big. A buddy of mine is using them on his duty gun, as his eyes have aged and he can't see the standard sights well anymore. The big XS sights help.

Another alternative, growing in popularity, is to use one of the many "red dot" type sights available. The Trijicon RMR is very popular with competitive shooters, and is growing in popularity with SWAT officers and others. I've been messing with some different "dot" type sights for my duty gun for a while now, and they can be Very Good.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/ ... php?id=RMR

Regards, Guy

Roy, I had my opthamologist doctor give me glasses with half bifocal coverage set to 36 inches focal length from my eyes. This allows me to see both sights as well as before I had cataract operations, became old and far sighted. You might discuss this with your doctor.

Back