ccw ??

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I am thinking about getting my permit. My wife understands why but does not feel the need for me to carry. I will not be able to carry all the time due to work but I would like it when I travel. What can I do to show her it is worth carrying a hand gun? I am thinking a J frame would be a good gun. What would you look at and in what cal? I have a lot to learn before I feel comfortable carrying so thanks for the help.

a J frame with hammer shroud is perfect for a woman to carry.....

ease of use.... no risk of hanging a hammer on clothing or the mystery items they carry in their purses.

Think about the shooting at the movie theater in CO. If somebody would have carried, it would have saved lives.
A S&W J frame 38 P+ would be a good carry gun. I carry a Kimber 45 ACP 8 + 1.

JD338

wisconsinteacher":cms4m2lu said:
I would be the carrying the gun.

Well,,,then in your purse.......<ducking>

But it is a good method of showing her value in owning and having the CCL.

Mortis, you made me smile with that comment. I know you are joking. I am looking for something light for the summer months when I am not going to work every day.

I've been carrying for nearly 43 years.......

First thing is to carry what you are comfortable with....... And I have carried a 4 inch N Frame S&W IWB.

It is all in the mental adjustment one must make.

You will get all levels of suggestions...... but it boils down to you..... and your mentioning of the J Frame is valid.

And I'd still go with a shrouded hammer....... cleaner lines and less problems with the hammer spur hanging up on clothing.

Read Ayoobs old book "In the Gravest Extreme" - it is 20+ years old, but discusses the ramifications of carrying a handgun for self defense.

Also the books by Jim Cirillo - of the old NYPD stakeout squad. I suspect that he's killed more men and been in more gunfights than any other cop in America. Passed away in a car wreck a few years ago, but has some great pearls of wisdom in those books of his.

To really practice effectively with a snub nose revolver, or any self-defense type hadngun, the right mind set is necessary. It's not marksmanship. It's not plinking. It's fighting, brutal fighting, and the handgun is your weapon. It's more like boxing, wrestling, mixed martial arts - that sort of training than like standard handgun training.

If you can get into a class that teaches defensive handgun techniques - do so. That and going through a case of 1,000 rounds will do a LOT of good. More important than buying more and more guns or selecting a fancier, more expensive handgun.

Best of luck. Guy

I Just got my CCW permit a few months ago. My wife says God has protected her from harm for 70 years, why do we need to have a gun carry permit? My life by its nature is quite different in history and out comes have been quite different than hers have been. There have been a few instances where I would no longer be here if I had not been armed. None of these required shooting any one but all required the presence of a large caliber handgun to end the threat of violence against me and/or my family. I am sure in a couple of instances that I would not be here now without armed intervention by me.

So the outcome with her is that I will carry sometimes and she will have no knowledge. As long as they guns are concealed, it works. I am not travelling to somewhere by car at night without a CCW weapon. I have been shot at a couple of times by itinerant murderers for no reason who just missed-judged car speed and distance. The bullets went through the passenger compartment and missed us but I got powder burn on my head and face. I also have had people in Texas, Georgia and and in California wave guns at me, at night, not knowing whether they were going to shoot of not. So the CCW stays hidden but present.

Guy Miner":27nn96hz said:
WT - a J-frame is a really solid, reliable gun. They've been around a long time. S&W really has the gun down pretty well anymore. About a zillion cops used to carry them as backup guns, and many (like me) still do.

I'd highly recommend sticking with the .38 Special. Have owned the J-Frame in .357 mag, and it's brutal to shoot. Rougher on my hand than my .44 mag 629. The .38 is a peach in comparison.

Short 2" barrel and the smallest grips make it easy to conceal.

I agree on the hammerless or shrouded hammer model. Makes it much easier to get it out of a pocket - and yes, they can be carried nicely in a pocket. Get a pocket holster though to break up the outline of the gun and protect your jeans from the wear.

Steel or lightweight alloy? Good question and only you will be able to figure out which is best for you. I don't mind the heft of the steel revolver at all. Some of my buddies insist on the much lighter alloy-frame revolvers.

Get a couple of speed loaders and practice with them. If nothing else, it's fun! Only practical though if you're going to carry a speed loader. The old Bianchi "speed strips" are still available I believe and are a real easy, flat, way to carry a few extra rounds.

Ammo - I'd stick with one of the very good .38 cal factory produced defensive loads. CCI/Speer markets a load intended for the 2" snubbies. It's a good one. The older 129 gr +P Federal Hydra-Shock is another good cartridge. A classic is the 158 gr lead semi-wadcutter hollow point - often referred to as the FBI load, from days gone by. It's as effective as ever.

The 2" snubbies can be a lot more accurate than people often acknowledge - they're just a bit tough to shoot with that stubby barrel and small grips. Do your practice double-action only. No cocking the hammer back for that sweet S&W trigger! Dry fire is your friend. Always be careful with that though. A lot of TV's and pets have been shot by guys "dry firing" their guns at home... Oooops! I kid you not...

Don't ever expect a handgun to produce a one-shot stop on a bad guy.

It might happen, but honestly, even with the most ferocious rounds, we're not talking about a lot of power. A brain hit is about the most sure way to get that instant stop - and the head is a moving, bobbing target that is hard to hit. Also, the skull has proven at least somewhat effective in deflecting bullets!

Read Ayoobs old book "In the Gravest Extreme" - it is 20+ years old, but discusses the ramifications of carrying a handgun for self defense.

Also the books by Jim Cirillo - of the old NYPD stakeout squad. I suspect that he's killed more men and been in more gunfights than any other cop in America. Passed away in a car wreck a few years ago, but has some great pearls of wisdom in those books of his.

To really practice effectively with a snub nose revolver, or any self-defense type hadngun, the right mind set is necessary. It's not marksmanship. It's not plinking. It's fighting, brutal fighting, and the handgun is your weapon. It's more like boxing, wrestling, mixed martial arts - that sort of training than like standard handgun training.

If you can get into a class that teaches defensive handgun techniques - do so. That and going through a case of 1,000 rounds will do a LOT of good. More important than buying more and more guns or selecting a fancier, more expensive handgun.

OK - enough. I get going on this one. My apologies. BTW - the Aurora Colorado example is terrific. I've also got some personal stories when having a handgun on my person was a huge help in keeping me and my family safe.

Feel free to contact me for more training info if you'd like.

Best of luck. Guy

GREAT ADVISE!!! It's hard to beat a J frame for a CCW.

I have (4) CCW guns: 1. S&W Bodyguard .380: small and hard to shoot accurately without the laser, The double action, trigger pull is a monster for a women. This pistol's defense is small size and decent power. 2. Model 317-3, .22LR Kitgun: I carry this one as a raccoon and rodent disposal tool, Would not recommend use against humans in a fight. 3. Model 331-2, .32 H&R Mag: decent power on low end of 125 grain .38 Special. I carry this revolver because it is small and potent for 12 ounces of weight. 4. Charter Arms Pit Bull, .40 S&W: a potent cartridge with much power in a small framed handgun. Plus, it is .40 caliber, 165 gr bullet at 1185 FPS! This is a heavier, larger framed, 3 inch gun but has the power for anything.

I carry the .380 BG or the S&W Model 331 most often because of concealability. I carry the .40 Pit Bull in luggage, in car, close by when going on trips.

JD338":27y7lwxv said:
Think about the shooting at the movie theater in CO. If somebody would have carried, it would have saved lives.
A S&W J frame 38 P+ would be a good carry gun. I carry a Kimber 45 ACP 8 + 1.

JD338
Bingo!

That theatre did not allow CC of pistols on the premises. However you are absolutely right Fotis, had some one been carrying it would have been a different story of the number of lives lost.

Any gun is better than no gun, and there's not a thing wrong with the J-Frame Smiths. However, I'd suggest taking a look at what Kahr has to offer. I have a pair of CW40s, which are available for around $400-ish. Both have been flawless. They hold six rounds of .40 S&W, which I believe is considerably more potent than the .38 Special, in the single-stack mag and one in the chamber for a total of seven shots. I find them to be quite easy to conceal and carry.

I've been carrying for north of twenty years.
With that said, if you go with a J-Frame Revolver, let me suggest you look at Mika Pocket Holsters. I carry my BUG, (Back-Up Gun), in one. It's a non-threatening appearance when you have your hand in your pocket. That's a hint by the way.
Read Massad Ayoob, get some training beyond your CCW Permit class, and practice, practice, practice. One poster hit the nail on the head, "It's a fight." He couldn't be more correct. It's not about target shooting, it's about stopping the threat by killing the threat if need be.

I have a Charter Arms .40S&W and I have no doubt that this pistol will bea pretty effective fight stopper. With a 165 gr bullet at 1100 fps in the .40 caliber would stop any fight pretty fast. It is too heavy for my jacket pocket but for certain things, the .40 is a house sweeper.

RiverRider":3b0u8ulj said:
Any gun is better than no gun, and there's not a thing wrong with the J-Frame Smiths. However, I'd suggest taking a look at what Kahr has to offer. I have a pair of CW40s, which are available for around $400-ish. Both have been flawless. They hold six rounds of .40 S&W, which I believe is considerably more potent than the .38 Special, in the single-stack mag and one in the chamber for a total of seven shots. I find them to be quite easy to conceal and carry.

I have a J frame (MP360) that I carried for a few years. With an uncle mikes in the pocket holster, nobody ever knew I had it. They are a little more difficult to shoot accurately because of the heavier trigger pull. I changed the springs and polished the internals and now it is much nicer to shoot. The only exception to that is when I use 357 full power loads, ouch! I bought my wife a bodyguard 380 and the trigger pull was so bad she couldn't fire it. I switched over to Kahr (P9 for me, P380 for the wife) and we both are really happy with them. The P series and CW series are the same gun except for the barrel and sights. Smooth trigger and easy to conceal. The only quirk with the pistols are you have to lock the slide back and use the slide stop to chamber a round when you load it.

Back