Ruger LCP?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
Well I have been looking at it online. What are your thoughts or it? I know the .380ACP is not the best round but it is better than nothing. I was also looking at a Crossbreed holster and an ankle holster.

I have a Ruger LCP as well as a LC9.
I like the LC9 better because it has better sights and an additional round in the clip.
The LCP does slip into a front pocket much nicer than the LC9.

JD338

How much bigger is the LC9? I know I can look it up but I am looking for more about hiding it.

Here are my carry guns....

Kimber Tactical Pro II 45 ACP
Ruger LC9 9mm
Ruger LCP 380
DSCN03001_zps40a082ba.jpg

JD338

I prefer the 9mm in a pocket pistol but the .380 is a very sound pocket pistol cartridge. I have a Kahr PM-9 and it easily slips in a pocket. My cousin and her husband own a LCP and the Sig P238. Both had their share of glitches in the first 100 rounds but have become more reliable of late. The Sig hasn't failed in the last 125 rds while the Ruger has failed once in a similar amount of rounds.

I've shot the P238 and it wasn't that much easier to handle than my PM-9.

edit - fixed Model # of Sig

The recoil of the LCP is quite snappy but that is due to its small size.
I have never had an issue with either of the Rugers.

I did have a FTE with the Kimber but I limp wristed it.

JD338

Was curious about the size relationship between these four pistols.

Ruger LC9 - L=6.00" H=4.50" W=.90"
Ruger LCP - L=5.16" H=3.60" W=.82"
Sig P238 - L=5.50" H=3.90" W=1.1"
Kahr PM-9 - L=5.42" H=4.00" W=.90"

All very compact packages with good pedigrees.

One strong advantage of the LCP is that it will slip into the front pocket of dress slacks or summer shorts and not be noticed.

LCP with a pocket holster
Picture009.jpg

The carry load is Winchester Ranger 95 gr Hollow Points.

JD338

I do not load for the 380 nor the 9mm.
I load for the 45 but all carry guns are fed Winchester Ranger loads.
380 is 95 gr
9mm is 147 gr
45 is 230 gr

I like heavy for caliber bullets, they penetrate.

JD338

What holsters do you use? If I were to get one, I would look at a wallet holster and maybe in IWB.

For a pocket holster I like the DeSantis Nemesis and Fist kydex models. For IWB, the Milt Sparks VersaMax2 is my choice. I tried several IWBs before settling on the VM2 and haven't looked back.

CatskillCrawler":121k68zr said:
For a pocket holster I like the DeSantis Nemesis and Fist kydex models. For IWB, the Milt Sparks VersaMax2 is my choice. I tried several IWBs before settling on the VM2 and haven't looked back.

Any pictures buddy?

The LCP's are great carry gun. I suggested one to my spacecraft engineer and he bought it last summer. He is great with it and it is so easy to carry.

Ths local store wants $405 out the door for one with a LazerMax on it. Is the Lazer Max as good as the CT grips?

IMO, the LCP is strictly a close quarters defense gun.
I do not think a laser sight is needed.

The CT is built into the grip, I have one on my 1911. Easy to use and scary accurate at 25 yds.

JD338

Very true JD338. I guess getting one without a laser would be the best way and after a few range trips with shooting at 2-8 yards I would know if I would need them or not. It would save on cost.

I have a S&W .380 Bodyguard which I carry in my inside pocket of my heavy leather jacket. The .380 BG had some issues when first sold : the slide catch, disassembly pin kept backing out, then later several people were practicing with these little guns to train on the long, heavy trigger pull in double action. Well some of them broke the hammer in two pieces (no doubt it is a MIM's part).

I have a .380BG, serial number: EALXXXX. I have not shot it a lot but have had no issues thus far. My gun was made after the disassembly issues wee resolved. You can control the trigger with practice and I get 3 inch groups at 10 yards offhand.

The .380 cartridge is a much different animal now. My ammo is rated at 1100 fps with an 90 grain bullet. That is .38 Special territory for a small pistol. I have chron'ed my .38 special with 110 grain JHP's and the velocity is only about 1050. I would not avoid using it to protect my family. Plus it is very compact and not hard t handle if you have small hands.

Back