Which semi auto 22 lr?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Been looking for one to replace the one I gave to my boy.

I was looking hard at the S&W 22A 2-tone. Any input on this one?

I am simply not a fan of the SW. I don't care for it aesthetically speaking and early on in the 22a's life I had read many negatives about its finish flaking off. That prompted me to go with the equally priced and equally unappealing looking pistol in the Beretta Neos. It can be embarrassing to take out at the range but really does shoot quite well and fits my hand well (YMMV). Takedown for cleaning is a breeze. Now, if I weren't such a tightwad, I really should have just gone with a Ruger of some flavor. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Beretta, but Ruger just holds a special place in my heart.

I did not know they had a flaking issue.

I can't speak of any first hand issues... only things I read several years ago. But it did give me enough pause to go the Beretta route. I did re-read your OP and realized you may already be settled on the SW. If so, I hope it serves you well!

It is hard to beat a steel frame Ruger MkII or MkIII. They are almost indestructible and very accurate. I like the 5.5 bull barrel target myself.

They did have a flaking problem but S&W has been sold and reorganized since those days of poor quality engineering. The new ones won't do that. Flaking is just poor process control. I just never have cared for the aesthetics of the particular pistol. I have heard that they function well and are decently accurate.

I have a 317 S&W, 8 shot revolver, 3 inch barrel in Scandium, it weighs only 12 ounces and I can carry it in my pocket. Plus, it is very accurate, I shoot varmits with it.

I'm fond of my Ruger MkII Govt model. I could be just as happy with the shorter 5.5" barrel. My only complaint with it is that is does take a little manipulation to re-assemble it after cleaning. I would also be proud of a Browning Buck Mark. My bud has one and we both shoot them alot while our barrels cool. Bragging rights are usually 50/50 and I've never seen either of them fail unless they're extremely dirty.

I have had Rugers and a S&W 22A. Still have a Ruger 22/45 and got rid of that POS S&W 22A. I won the 22A at a Friends of the NRA dinner back in 2010. That thing had nothing but feeding problems right out of the box. Shipped it back to the company for repair which they had it back in two weeks. Functioned ok after that but got rid of it. The 22/45 has functioned flawlessly with anything I put through it suppressed or unsuppressed. Shot a few Buckmarks that feel and work great.

Fotis,

Have you considered a .22 conversion for your Kimber 1911?

JD338

JD338":259ta96o said:
Fotis,

Have you considered a .22 conversion for your Kimber 1911?

JD338

How would that fit into his "buy a gun every week" plan, though?
Would it count as just half a gun?

:grin:

Seriously though, I have a couple of the Ruger Mark II pistols in stainless and they are hard to beat. Hundreds of aftermarket parts available, and they are more accurate than the shooter in the vast majority of cases.

Sometimes when I'm out at the pistol range, practicing by dinging steel targets at 50 yards with my little .22 Ruger 22/45, I consider getting a shoulder holster for it and using it time to time for self defense. It's so doggone easy to quickly put ten rounds accurately into the target from near or far...

Of course, then I tell my .45 Kimber that I really didn't mean it and we go happily along together again. :grin:

The Ruger .22 is a great gun. Dad is equally happy with his Browning and his old Colt Woodsman. Now that's a classy old gun that shoots well - if you can find a good one.

Guy

Back