Good news times 2

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
Yesterday my wife took her ccw class and wants to apply for her permit this week. She thought the class quite interesting and although she not sure she necessarily wants to carry, she now knows the laws and thinking behind the whole ccw thing. She didn't necessarily care for the outside shooting in 10 degree snow and cold, but got through that ok.

I thought it was interesting that there were between 70 and 80 people in the class and quite a few women with ages from early 20's to 60's. That is a big class for our area although Dickinson and Iron Counties are 2 of the top ccw counties in Michigan and actually were instrumental in opening up Michigan ccw permit availability. A credit to the people since we are in the U.P and not the lower.

I also thought it was interesting that:
1. there are so many people interested that they are going to offer classes in Jan, Feb and March which typically does not happen up here because of the cold weather for outside shooting.
2. the people (men and women) who put this class on want to do a free class for teachers, custodians and school administrators.
3. this is only one group that puts on classes. There are several more groups and individuals that also do ccw classes in our area.
4. they refered to people as "sheep" several times and warned the students to not do stupid things to alarm the "sheep" but to be the "sheep dogs" to protect the sheep from the "wolves". While also warning the students of the potential complications if one ever draws their weapon.

So the wife came away from the whole thing having had a very postive experience, and I'm good with that.

Now I have to figure out what caliber handgun will work for her. She likes shooting my Sig .22 but does not care for shooting my Smith 357 (loaded with 38's, granted it is a revolver so there would be more recoil).

Any ideas?

Long

Long,

Congratulations to your wife for taking the CCW class.
Take a look at the Ruger LC9 for her.

JD338

Long,

Good for your wife!! Mine didn't know about or have any interest in handguns until we met, now she hunts, has her CCW and carries religiously.

I would suggest looking at one of the Smith & Wesson M&P's with their interchangeable backstraps or one of the Kahr autos. The LC9, as JD mentioned, or SR9 Rugers are good choices as well. Something that fits her hand well is a must.

Good luck!!!

Ron

Back