Bolt action handguns

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
Does anyone have a bolt action handgun? What make, cal, and what kind of groups do you shoot? I would like to learn about them.

Remington started it back in the '70's with the XP100. They also offered it in the 221 Fireball, whos name came from the large muzzle flash in the short hand gun barrel.
Savage and Weatherby have both introduced bolt action pistols.

Another option is the T/C Contender and Encore hand guns. The Contender is for lower pressure rounds like the 30-30, 35 Rem and 45-70. The Encore is designed for higher pressure rounds like 7mm-08, 308 Win and 30-06.

Ii have a Contender with a 14" Hunter barrel in 7x30 Waters and a custom Shilion from SSK in 6.5 JDJ. The accuracy is amazing! The T/C barreled 7x30 Waters has shot a couple groups at 100 yds that went under .250"! The 6.5 JDJ shoots a 120 gr BT at 2424 fps and 300 yd hits are easy.
Just something else to consider. :mrgreen:

JD338

Here is my T/C Contender 6.5 JDJ
JDTCContender65JDJ.jpg

JD338

A fellow who posts over on Long Range Hunting has had incredible success with various bolt action handguns. He posts as "Ernie" - which coincidentally is his name.

www.longrangehunting.com

As I recall, he's made kills at over 1,000 yards with a handgun, and has placed well in "sniper type" tactical competitions - using his handgun against rifles...

Guy

something that might interest you a little bit more. I hunt with a Competitor arms single shot pistol. It's different in that it has a cannon breech. You take the breech portion and turn it which allows you to place a round in the chamber and also to cock the internal hammer. You then turn it back which readies it for shooting. The trigger is the same design as a Savage trigger. (depress the front portion which allows you to fire a round). Whats unique is that you can change the firing pin from centerfire to rimfire and you can buy approximately 250 different caliber barrels. I'd call that convenient. As far as accuracy I can shoot one inch groups with mine chambered in 30.06 and wearing a Burris 2X7 scope. You can purchase it with or without a muzzlebrake. I can tell you that with a muzzlebrake the barrel comes up about 1 1/2 inches but the noise is somewhat terrifiying.When I shoot it under the metal roof at our range any lizards that are crawling around on the underside come down. (seriously).

This my rebuilt XP-100, in a 6mmAI. I haven't had a lot of time to shoot with it, but initially shot well with Nosler 105 gr. CC's. Still needs a little more playing, and hoping to do better than the 800 yd. 1/2 moa.
I'm pretty sure it will with 105's, just haven't had time to fine tune the best of the load ramp. And have high hopes for the 107's as well.

100_3987.jpg

I also had gotten my son a Savage in the .260. It shot well too. Unfortunately I was offered to get it when he sold it for wedding ring. I also have several TC's Encore frame with a number of barrel's in both pistol and rifle lengths.

Dave,

That is one fine looking XP-100!
Nice picture of you and the XP-100.

JD338

Thanks Jim! I hope a I have couple years left in me to shoot it some more. I rather give to the boys with a shot out barrel. :lol:

onesonek":hknpreau said:
I hope a I have couple years left in me to shoot it some more. I rather give to the boys with a shot out barrel. :lol:

Ah, yes, the ideal for all of us. May we shoot enough that we pass on our firearms, each in need of being rebarreled.

Thanks Again Guys!

DrMike":1j52x59k said:
onesonek":1j52x59k said:
I hope a I have couple years left in me to shoot it some more. I rather give to the boys with a shot out barrel. :lol:

Ah, yes, the ideal for all of us. May we shoot enough that we pass on our firearms, each in need of being rebarreled.

While none of us know what ahead in time, even the next 5 minutes, that is good thing.
I don't know either, but time is a little more dire so it seems. It sounds as the cancer is back, with treatment having only a time extension effect. Not that I'm any different and it has happened before, so it was not a total shock. However, it was spread quite a bit from my last checkup 6 mos. ago, which came as a suprise. They never scanned the brain before this, and that could have been there awhile unnoticed. However, it is the same cancer cell I had before.
It certainly does explain my edgyness the past while, which had me wondering.
Then too, all hope is not lost so I will just continue on day to day, as like most things, are out of my control. There is always a chance the radiation and chemo will work in this case.

onesonek":250gfgfp said:
While none of us know what ahead in time, even the next 5 minutes, that is good thing.I don't know either, but time is a little more dire so it seems. It sounds as the cancer is back, with treatment having only a time extension effect. Not that I'm any different and it has happened before, so it was not a total shock. However, it was spread quite a bit from my last checkup 6 mos. ago, which came as a suprise. They never scanned the brain before this, and that could have been there awhile unnoticed. However, it is the same cancer cell I had before.
It certainly does explain my edgyness the past while, which had me wondering.
Then too, all hope is not lost so I will just continue on day to day, as like most things, are out of my control.

Were all pulling for you Dave. Hope the doc's get on it for you buddy. Keep up the good fight.

Dave,

Keep the faith buddy.
Lets get you past these rad treatments and then plan on a rendezvous.

JD338

Dave,

I'm truly sorry to hear this news. I do pray for God's mercy and for the doctors to act with discretion as they address this invasion. You are correct that none of us know our time. Therefore, we must live so as to avoid regrets. I'm pulling for you, Dave.

Dave, I wish you all the best and God's will that you should beat this cancer. Stay strong and determined to beat this Dave, and with luck, you can defeat this disease. I have been fortunate and have beaten cancer twice in the last 15 years. The last time was NH Lymphoma in my right lung. I hope that you can get the treatment that you need to win this fight Dave and we are all pulling for you.

Thanks again guys. Sorry, I didn't intend for this news to come out in someone else's post, and so from the OP subject. Just sorta worked out that way I guess.

Back