Best Sillouette Cartridge?

roysclockgun

Handloader
Dec 17, 2005
We have a local club that shoots casual sillouette matches at 65 to 75 yards, knocking over metal targets.
What would be the best cartridge to get in a 10" barrel, hand gun to play this game?
Steve Ashe

The local club here has silouette shoots at about those same distances. The .22LR is the popular cartridge of choice, and they knock 'em down pretty easily!

These iron silouettes are quite large. The pig is the size of a small pig. I have hit them center and they wobble. I have to hit them top to knock them over. Granted, I was using lightly loaded 39Spl from a 6" Blackhawk.

Of course in my post above, I meant to write 38SPL and not "39".
I was thinking of an E. Brown single shot hand gun in 30-30. Any opinions on that hand loaded ammo for silouette?
Steve

I shot a match once with a T/C 30-30. Targets were set up out to 200 yds. That was fun.
I have also shot official Metallic Silhouette where the 55 lb rams are set at 500 meters (547 yds) and used a 7mm-08 and a 280 Rem. Again, a ton of fun.

Not sure how big/heavy your targets are 65 and 75 yd shooting but a 357 Max would be a good one.
The 30-30 or a 7x30 Waters in a T/C Contender would be a good choice and they are scary accurate!
FWIW, my 7x30 has shot 3 shot groups under .25" at 100 yds.

JD338

Back