Beretta 92 or Sig P226?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Which 9mm would you choose for plinking home defense etc?

Both are very good, It comes down to which you like better. I carried the 92 for 9 years then went to the 96 which I didn't care for. I still have a 92 which I use if I'm teaching. Did you carry one of these at one time?

Definitely the Sig... carried the Beretta in Iraq and grew to despise it. I will never own one. My P226 is on my nightstand right now.

I have had both and carried a 92 for 19 years in the USAF. Just trying to gauge them

I carried the 92 for awhile, it's comfortable to me. The SIG is a better pistol by a mile, though. It all comes down to how comfortable it is to flip the decocker, you wouldn't want to break your grip.

I'm familiar with both and have several single stack SIGs. I prefer the SIG manual of arms but the P226's grip doesn't fit me well. The 92F fits me better but I'm not a fan of the pistol. They both have a high bore height and felt recoil and barrel flip is similar. If they both fit good in your hands, I'd take the SIG.

Is it one of the DAK SIGs?

I still like revolvers! I am not a soldier and 99.9% of the time, the fight is over by the time I need to reload. If not, I just carry two of them.

Oldtrader3":eaxtjoyq said:
I still like revolvers! I am not a soldier and 99.9% of the time, the fight is over by the time I need to reload. If not, I just carry two of them.

Oldtrader...... I also am a fan of wheel guns.... Altho I started carrying a 1911 back in 1970 as my duty weapon.

Love my 1911's also..... but will pick up one of my Smith's in a heartbeat if needed.

On the Sig vs Beretta thinking..... I was still in the Corps when we started the change from the 1911 to the Beretta..... most of us had the same feelings that worn out 1911's were better then the Berettas we were given. Thankfully they fixed the majority of the problems the early ones had.

But a person needs to carry what they are comfy with..... regardless of public opinion.

Mortis, I like the 1911 and carried one for 3 years in the Medical Corps. I also was on the Fort Lewis Pistol team for awhile. Problem is that I do not have enough money to put into to tuning a 1911 to shoot. at least not a Kimber custom shop! I want a handgun that I can buy, even an expensive one, that will shoot out of the box decently well and my last two Kimbers were an expensive disaster. They never did shoot depite repeated tuning and trips to Kimber! I lost faith in the platform.

1911's now cost a lot of money but they now are made of MIM's junk extractors which will not tune like steel and are not reliable. I just got burned and burned and burned again by Kimber on a Custom Shop Pistol that they could not make sustainably fire and eject without stovepiping. One should not have to live with a 1911 which splashed like a flushing toilet each time it is fired because the only way the pistol will battery is to pour it full to saturation point with gun oil! I finally just gave up and got tired of having slattering gun oil all over my clothes. Life is too short to fight the unwinnable fight with rude New Yawka's who will not fix their damned expensive custom shop product! They should have just once! given me a custom shop pistol would fire for at least one magazine full!!!!

Smith and Wessons work, everytime and they do not tell you you are full of crap and it is all your fault when you call customer service! I sold the Kimber for half what I paid for it because I did not want anybody coming back on me for their crappy workmanship. So I lost nearly $700 on something that never once worked right anyhow!

Oldtrader3":3hu83dhg said:
Mortis, I like the 1911 and carried one for 3 years in the Medical Corps. I also was on the Fort Lewis Pistol team for awhile. Problem is that I do not have enough money to put into to tuning a 1911 to shoot. at least not a Kimber custom shop! I want a handgun that I can buy, even an expensive one, that will shoot out of the box decently well and my last two Kimbers were an expensive disaster. They never did shoot depite repeated tuning and trips to Kimber! I lost faith in the platform.

1911's now cost a lot of money but they now are made of MIM's junk extractors which will not tune like steel and are not reliable. I just got burned and burned and burned again by Kimber on a Custom Shop Pistol that they could not make sustainably fire and eject without stovepiping. One should not have to live with a 1911 which splashed like a flushing toilet each time it is fired because the only way the pistol will battery is to pour it full to saturation point with gun oil! I finally just gave up and got tired of having slattering gun oil all over my clothes. Life is too short to fight the unwinnable fight with rude New Yawka's who will not fix their damned expensive custom shop product! They should have just once! given me a custom shop pistol would fire for at least one magazine full!!!!

Smith and Wessons work, everytime and they do not tell you you are full of crap and it is all your fault when you call customer service! I sold the Kimber for half what I paid for it because I did not want anybody coming back on me for their crappy workmanship. So I lost nearly $700 on something that never once worked right anyhow!

Well....Fotis has made his choice!!!

Oldtrader....here is what I consider a 1911A1.

Remington-Rand.... production date: 1943. US Army Issue.

I've yet to find a type or style of ammunition these girls would not shoot.

Anything else is just a clone in my book..... and clones have DNA problems.

pistols001.jpg

FOTIS":22pqh4oj said:
Sig it is.

I think you'll be happier Fotis. I have been drilled in the chest (wearing plates) with a 92 slide. Hate them. They are good pistols if they aren't shot too much, but for high volume shooting, I think they are crap.. Just my opinion, but I don't like guns that break that easily. I have shot some 1911's that were about as rickety as an old Ford, and still funtioned fine..

I know that is an extreme example, so Beretta people, don't beat me up, just my experience with highly used Beretta's..

Good pick between those two.

SJB358":mdmx0byz said:
FOTIS":mdmx0byz said:
Sig it is.

I think you'll be happier Fotis. I have been drilled in the chest (wearing plates) with a 92 slide. Hate them. They are good pistols if they aren't shot too much, but for high volume shooting, I think they are crap.. Just my opinion, but I don't like guns that break that easily. I have shot some 1911's that were about as rickety as an old Ford, and still funtioned fine..

I know that is an extreme example, so Beretta people, don't beat me up, just my experience with highly used Beretta's..

I will second that opinion of Beretta 92/M9 pistols. I have seen the after effects when a 92 slide lets loose. Marine one class ahead of me lost his right eye.

Yup she got the lazer grips. Looks feel great

Back