New to handgun hunting

Feb 18, 2011
Purchased a Ruger Blackhawk 7.5" stainless 44 mag today. Really intrigued with getting into handgun hunting and thought this was the gun I wanted. Anyone have any "big loads" they like for the 44? I am really intrigued by Buffalo Bores 340 grain load at nearly 1500 fps!!!

If I do use this for hunting probably be for black bear over bait out of my treestand this spring. Would it be worth it to scope it? Whats a reasonable max shooting distance with this rig?

Cool. You're in for some fun. I started with a 7.5" Super Blackhawk about a million years ago... Well, maybe 30 years or so. Ended up going through two Rugers and a pair of S&W .44's before arriving at my present .44 mag S&W 629. It's turned out to be my favorite so far - but I digress.

The heaviest I've used are 300 gr bullets, and really, they shoot very well from the .44's. Mostly though, I use bullets in the 240 - 250 gr range. They're great on deer size game.

H110/W296 is a great choice for max loads. Don't attempt to go very light with that powder. H110 and W296 are supposed to be the same powder with different labels. I believe it. Never saw a bit of difference between them. Powerful, accurate loads come from H110/W296!

I like a good roll crimp on my heavy .44 loads.

With the 300's you may run out of adjustment on the rear sight, and might need a taller front sight to zero the revolver. The limited amount of game I've taken with a revolver has all been within 50 yards or so, except for a few varmints I blasted over the years. It seems to me that the .44 is mighty effective at that range, and likely at considerably longer distances as well.

I keep toying with the idea of scoping my .44 for hunting... Have only been thinking about that for 20+ years. Maybe someday I'll actually make it happen. I think I'd go with the fixed 2x Leupold. Simple & light. Zero at 50 and call it good.

I know JD338 has quite a bit of handgun hunting experience. I haven't taken anything larger than a mule deer with mine.

Love those big bore revolvers! Guy

I have the same pistol as you ITH, Guy is spot on, if you want to shoot heavier than 250's you'll need a taller front sight to zero the pistol. Mine handles the 240/250's really well with H110 and it is very accurate. If I were dedicating this pistol to hunting with the handgun, I would scope it. I figure I will scope mine up eventually, as it would be alot nicer for the evening hunts with the pistol. Good luck, sounds like your going to have alot of fun. Just remember, it'll take some practice to get proficient with the big gun.. It is a whole nother league of shooting when trying to get comfortable with the handgun.

Some good advice here, especcially about the taller front sight. My normal load for the .44 Mag. is either 20 gr. of Alliant 2400 and Elmer's bullet, the Lyman #429241 or 24.0 gr. of W296/H110 and the same bullet. I've taken a few deer with those loads. I have an RCBS mold that looks like Elmer's bullet on steroids, weight 310 gr. in my alloy and while it is accurate, at 2 yeards it's 6 to 8" high depending on which .44 I'm shooting. I have to contact Ruger about a taller front sight for my two Redhawks as that gun has interchangable front sights.
Sadly, my handgun shooting has been neglected lately as I've been doing load work ups for three rifles plus I have to buckle down and get some ammo loaded up fo the .44's.
Paul B.

I agree there is good advice here and respect y'alls field experience. I would suggest to the OP that he do his own field testing before ordering a new front sight. Very nice pick up btw, you just can't go wrong with a Ruger SA. i don't know you so i certainly don't mean to talk down to you but there are all sorts of Rube Goldbergian ways to experiment with the need for a taller front sight.
But the reason I suggest you shoot it first is I have a Ruger Bisley in .45LC. Back in the day you couldn't buy hot loads for it but my ancient Speer manual came in handy when I hand loaded 300 grain hard cast with +/- 23.5 grains of H110 at a published MV of +/- 1200 FPS with a similar barrel length.
I never needed to swap out the front sight and that load was a deer hammer. Your mileage may vary of course.

I have a S&W 629 Classic with a 2.5-8 VX-3.

My longest kill is on a WT at 75 yds. At the time I had a Leupold M8 2x scope. Bullet was a 240 gr JHP at 1400 fps.
You can see the entrance wound, the exit was tight behind the off side shoulder.
IMG_0323.jpg

JD338

Back