Anyone use an ankle holster?

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
I'm looking at getting an ankle holster for my Kahr CM9. Anyone have some good feedback on any certain brands?
Steve

I have an Alessi ankle holster for a Colt Mustang. It also fits my Llama Mirco. All leather, no elastic to stretch and walk down the ankle. Have worn it for hours without a problem.

A bit pricie, but worth the price.

Remember...... if you are right handed, you want to wear the firearm on the inside of your left ankle. And wear boot cut jeans or pants with a slight flair to assist in not printing the piece and allows quicker retrevial.

Two ankle holsters I've used and recommend:

Galco Ankle Glove
Renegade Apache

The Renegade is the better of the two, if I recall the name correctly, but they don't have a website. They are a small Mom and Pop operation out of Phoenix, AZ. Dave Spaulding would know the name of the company if you asked him.

While serving on the police department I saw a Detective attempt to get his firearm into play from an ankle holster and it wasn't pretty. You really need to practice and I do mean practice. I am not a great fan of IWB's but I feel they are much more preferrable than ankle holsters.

I use one now and then for a little J-frame .38 revolver. It works pretty good, but I never got used to it.

One thing nice is that a guy can wear slacks, dress shoes and a tucked-in polo shirt or dress shirt and nobody has a clue that you're carrying. That's convenient.

Drawing must be practiced, and there is more than one story about a cop in a foot pursuit, running hard, losing his gun out of the ankle holster... I'd think the better versions would reduce the possibility of that happening.

Guy

I've run a lot with my 38 in an ankle holster and never lost a gun yet out of an ankle holster.

Gun grabs, crappy waistband holsters, etc, I've lost a couple.

I was talking with Lou Alessi one afternoon and he commented that one thing about an ankle hoster that he really liked was that you could get to the firearm while driving a car, unlike an IWB or belt holster.

He traveled across the country carrying that way. In his opinion, while driving there were only 3 ways to carry. 1 - Shoulder holster; 2 - Crossdraw; 3 - Ankle holster.

Of the three, the ankle was the less obvious to anyone looking in the car or when entering or exiting the car.

I only got a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag 4 5/8 " its a little too BIG for a ankle holster ! LOL RJ

Thanks for the info guys. Ive been leaning towards the Galco Ankle Holster, but wanted some different views.

I can't reach my ankle either DrMike and just either wear a high back of the hip or a leather jacket,J-frame pocket chest holster, except for wearing a 4-1/2 inch cross draw when carrying Colt SAA.

Charlie,

I'm even afraid of losing a handgun in a waist holster! :shock:

DrMike,
My fear with a waist holster and a heavier gun would be that my pants would fall down (no hips)!

Ain't it the truth! There is always a challenge as we grow older Charlie.

I guess that makes three of us. I don't have any hips to speak of and I have to cinch my belt up quite snugly in order to carry my Kimber Pro carry in an outside the pants holster. One good thing though, I can still see my belt buckle. :lol:

Back