Don't know

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
When it comes to handgun shooting - as with many things...

You don't know what you don't know until you find out what you don't know. :mrgreen:

Had a recent range session with a great guy that went along those lines. His accuracy was okay, though we improved that, but there was a LOT that was brand new to him, after a lifetime of shooting over the decades.

We both had a blast, learning what he didn't know that he didn't know! :grin:

Guy

So I then have to ask, since I like to shoot my 44 Mag as well...

What things were brand new to him, and what should he have known?

He was a respectable pistol shot, but wanted to learn more about self-defense, using a handgun. Had a .40 Glock and a pile of good handloads. Told me up front that he'd never had any formal firearms training.

We started with stance, grip, trigger. Lots of time on the trigger. Eyes/sights. Determined that he greatly preferred the "modern isosceles" stance. He saw an improvement in accuracy, I think mostly due to grip and trigger control.

Went to firing two shots. First with controlled pairs, then double taps & "hammers."

Did some malfunction clearing drills.

Got some instruction on drawing quickly and smoothly.

Got some instruction on shifting from one target to another.

Went back to the basics at the end of the lesson, reviewed trigger & sights, and shot a couple of "one-hole" drills to reinforce the basics.

All that stuff was new to him, and he took to it like a duck takes to water! I was impressed, and he was pleased.

Guy

Cool beans Guy!

Working on the fundamentals is where it's at, IMHO. The one thing I find people seeking I am unable to give them has to come from within them. I am referring to the "willingness" to close and do battle with the enemy knowing they may die in the process.

The mindset, and ability to understand the felonious mind, is not something easily taught in a lecture or two, as you know. It is best expirienced, but not too close or for too long, as it has a telling effect on the observer. Have your charge study tactics, methods, and other things, but hopefully you can prepare him to delve in to the criminal mind so that he can be better prepared for such an event if such should happen if self defense is the goal.

I have found that the more prepared mind is often the one least likely to have to go to the Dark Place.

Respectfully,

Vince

Vince, your comments are on the money but the average person doesn't have a clue (mindset), and experience unfortunately, is the teacher. The police officer also doesn't pick up that mindset immediately and a period of time with a partner (field trainer) is a godsend. Shooting (practicing) regularly as Guy has mentioned in past forums using different situations to instill a thought process in the officer is great training. It took my department a long time (we're talking back in the 70's and 80's) to accept anything other than standing there shooting at a bullseye. Once we expanded into what Guy is teaching, shooting and thought processes really came around making the officer much better prepared.

Training has come a long way but has further to go.

I can only say that after my encounters I've been changed. I place a high, extremely high, value on my life and the lives of loved ones. Those loved ones include my bothers and sisters by another mother. The one whose actions started the events I don't value their life.

I am as cold and heartless to them during "battle" as they are to others. That is the biggest change I'm sorry to say. Now I'll lie to you and tell you I sleep fine at night.

Back