Blackpowder Revolver Recommendations

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Recently I couldn't decide whether I wanted another handgun or a smokepole so today I decided to do both, by getting a blackpowder replica revolver. I have shot a few of these but would like some input from "the college" if you know what I mean.

Its down to between the 1851 Colt and 1858 Remington replicas. Any suggestions or reasonings to go with one over the other? Also, maybe considering a .36 cal in the 1851 versus the .44 again any input would be appreciated.

That should be a ton of fun. I've often weighed getting into black powder handguns, just 'cause.

I like the 58 myself, just for the added strength design. but the 51 is cool too.
Maybe not a novel idea, but I might would get both myself. Double the fun!

Grandpa rescued this one, years ago. A Colt "stagecoach" model. There's an engraving of a stagecoach robbery on the cylinder. When Grandpa found it, the old pistol was being used to kill cattle for butchering. I don't remember what he traded them, but it was something vastly more modern, that took cartridges. They were pleased, and I'll bet Grandpa chuckled all the way home with his prize.

Dad built the little case it's in, back in the late 1960's or early 1970's. Been a while since we've shot it, but it's a pretty cool old revolver. Just thought I'd toss it out there. Kind of a neat old gun. I learned about percussion caps & black powder with that old Colt.

Regards, Guy

Quite a good looking old handgun, Guy. It may well have had some history that would be fascinating, were it able to speak.

Thanks. I really ought to study up on them a little more, maybe even see if Colt can shed some light on date of manufacture. I'd guess pre-Civil War. Maybe 1850's. Could be a 150+ year old gun, and it's been fired in my lifetime. Pretty neat.

Maybe Dad and I will load it up again one of these days and shoot it at the range. It's been a while.

Or maybe it's just time to retire it permanently and get a good reproduction revolver. That might be the smarter alternative.

Grandpa had a habit of being quite a trader when it came to cool guns. Dad and I still have quite a few that the old man bargained for. Like one he brought home by buying a fellow a drink... Sheesh.

Guy

Guy Miner":f7xqqggd said:
Thanks. I really ought to study up on them a little more, maybe even see if Colt can shed some light on date of manufacture. I'd guess pre-Civil War. Maybe 1850's. Could be a 150+ year old gun, and it's been fired in my lifetime. Pretty neat.

Maybe Dad and I will load it up again one of these days and shoot it at the range. It's been a while.

Or maybe it's just time to retire it permanently and get a good reproduction revolver. That might be the smarter alternative.

Grandpa had a habit of being quite a trader when it came to cool guns. Dad and I still have quite a few that the old man bargained for. Like one he brought home by buying a fellow a drink... Sheesh.

Guy

If it is a 1850's which it looks like it very well could be, that'll be worth quite a bit. More if proved to be used in the Civil War. Seen one appraised not long ago, it was appraised at 5-7000 bucks pending auction. It's condition was close to yours. If more of the original finish survived, 10 grand plus. That was just the revolver too.

Interesting. I don't think this one is worth anywhere near that much. Shame.

Does Ruger still make their "Old Army" cap and ball revolver? I always liked the looks of that one.

Guy

I have an 1849 Colt Pocket Model (Colt Replica), Baby Dragoon shown below. Mine has the stagecoach robbery (rolled engraving) as well. The easiest way to tell what Colt model your pistol is by caliber. The Baby Dragoons and pocket model's were .31 caliber, the Dragoons were .44 caliber etc.

th_Baby_Dragoon.jpg

Back