Any 357 Maximum Shooters Out there?

Partisan

Beginner
Aug 5, 2013
Any one loading and shooting the 357 Maximum still?
I picked up a 10" barrel last year for my Contender.
I've been experimenting with it and it seems an awesome cartridge although you need to be a handloader because there are only a few boutique-type ammo producers that still provide factory loads.
Took it hunting this past January in our late Antlerless-only season but never even saw a deer in daylight for 3 days. Going to give it a trial again though this December.

I have used my 10" Contender on deer with 13.5 grs H-110 and the 180 Hornady XTP out to 107 yards. I will get the job done. This load is very accurate in my barrel and is a MAX load according to the Hogdon manual. It runs around 1400 fps. Some manuals list more powder with 180 gr bullets but I never tried these loads because the 13.5 gr H-110 shot so good. I mainly use my 14" 30-30AI Contender now. 125 ballistic tips at 2670 fps allow for much longer shots.

Thanks for the reply.
Here in Iowa we are limited for Handgun deer hunting to Straight wall cartridges of .357 caliber or larger. I have a 30 Herrett barrel that would be my first choice if not for the restrictions.

That being said, I do really like the 357 Max. It's my choice over the 44 Mag barrel I have.
I was able to pick-up 500 Blem Hornady 180gr SSP bullets at a ridiculously low price last year.
Over 27grs of AA1680 I get a Choreographed 1657fps average vel. That's a mid-load according to Accurate manual.
I have tried the 180gr XTP bullets also over AA1680. They would be Ok for hunting but don't group as well as the SSP and shed velocity quicker.

Back