.357 for deer

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I know it doesn't have the power of the 44 mag, but I know if used correctly, the .357 mag can take a deer at ranges out to 50 yards. If a person were to attempt to develop a deer load, what bullet would you use? Lead cast, Speer Gold Dot, or a Hornady? If my archery season were to go as planned, I may consider carrying my revolver during gun season.

Back when I had a .357 Python I shot a bunch of javelinas with it but no deer. A 146gr Speer half jacket hollow point with a stout load of 296 did a pretty fair job. I don't guess they make that bullet any more.

I think the 357 Mag is marginal for deer. I would go with a 158 gr SP and keep the range under 50 yds.

JD338

Ive seen a couple deer get away from a 357. Not something I'd recommend, though of course it can be done. CL

truck driver":mbpkqw0f said:
Heavy for caliber bullet and Hard cast lead bullet for penetration.
I agree but think it's a bit like using a .223 for deer. Not something I recommend and best left to the hands of the experienced. I won't be using either.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

158gr speer JSP has killed a bunch of deer out of my dads marlin. My dad has killed a few with the same load out of his 8" dan wesson. It has proven effective. Within its effective range. 50 out of revolver 100-125 yards out of carbine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was trying to recall if I'd ever killed a deer with my .357 mag... Don't think so.

The .44 mag & .45 ACP, yes.

I think with the .357, I'd start with a 158 gr JHP or JSP. The hollow points can have surprising penetration in that weight. Just guessing though, since I haven't taken a deer with the .357 revolver. Something is nagging at me about that though. Maybe I finished one off with it years ago? Beats me.

Guy

So, what about a 9mm at close range, under 20 yards?
I've got some 90 gr flat points at near 1,300 fps that I've always thought would do just fine on a broadside rib cage ??? I'd have to believe that the 147 gr bullets available today would also do the job effectively with broadside presentations at close range. Any thoughts or experiences ?

The 9mm is too light to be considered as a reliable deer round. Yes it can work but same can be said about the 22 rim fires. IMHO, hand gun rounds for deer hunting start at the 41 Magnum.

JD338

My dad was underwhelmed when dispatching car/deer accident white tails. That was with 147gr ranger hollow points. He took to carrying his model 19 smith with 158gr JSP loads in his trunk for that purpose. He said the 40 sw seemed to do a better job than the 9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3deers":va1sxjg2 said:
So, what about a 9mm at close range, under 20 yards?
I've got some 90 gr flat points at near 1,300 fps that I've always thought would do just fine on a broadside rib cage ??? I'd have to believe that the 147 gr bullets available today would also do the job effectively with broadside presentations at close range. Any thoughts or experiences ?
I used one to try and dispatch a deer a couple of years ago, and my 9mm did not work that well. I would not recommend one at all as a primary weapon for deer.

I have taken two deer with the 357. Both at pretty close range. The first was a big doe at 45 yds with a 7 1/2" Blackhawk Bisley. 158gr JSP and a big enough dose of 2400 that I wouldn't shoot in anything but a Ruger. The shot was high and a little back but double lungs, she ran 40yrds and expired. The second was another large doe with a Rossi 92 lever gun shooting 180gr Remington factorys. She was running but not hard like if spooked, tail down just ambling along. range was about 50 yds in open oaks. I led at the front of her lead leg, at the shot she rolled end over end and never moved. The bullet smashed the front shoulders and jellied everything else. At moderate ranges under 100yds with a good bullet and proper shot placement it is effective.

Back