New grouse & bunny buster!

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
Well new to me anyway.! I just picked up this older t/c contender at a garage sale for $200. Came with 45/410 barrel and hotshot 44 mag barrel. I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. I think the 45/410 barrel will be great for incidental grouse and bunnies while 4 wheeling. I'm going to mount a holster right on the front of my wheeler for it. I used to have one of these several years ago in 45/410, 22 hornet, 223, and 35 Remington. They are great versatile handguns.

Any of you guys hunting with contenders?

5707515bb0ccf39a6aa547d868ee2b08.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool! I've never owned one. Have shot one, a .223 for varmints.

Fun little rigs!

Guy

As is true for Guy, I never owned one; but it does look as if it would be a fun setup.

Took a blue grouse on the fly with my Contender 410 in pistol configuration one time.
They shoot amazingly well.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440181932.807739.jpg

Fantastic find and buy!!! The two barrels alone are worth what you paid for it. The contender hands down is the one of the most versatile handguns ever built. I currently have one made in 1974 and have .45 Colt(non choked) and .22 Silhouette barrels for it. I'm always looking for original barrels at sales, pawn shops, and gun shows.

7f51a9647c2c05ab58cf2f5fadf5bce3.jpg

This thing is too much fun!! Went 3 for 3 on ptarmigan while bou hunting today. . Wing shooting with the pistol is pretty neat. Granted, ptarmigan are very stupid and you nearly have to kick them to get them airborne. I could of followed that flock around till I got them all but figured three was plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a TC with the 44 mag barrel with screw on choke. In years past I've shot quail with it. Most were running on the ground. It was a lucky shot to take one on the wing.

Three ptarigan, three grouse and two snowshoes have now fallen to this little pistol. It is super handy have have on the wheeler while big game hunting. Its particularly handy for grouse because we have a lot of branch sitters up here and I have never liked to shoot them out of trees with the 22lr. I just don’t like the idea of winging bullets willy nilly thru the air and not knowing where they will come down at. All three ptarmigan and one of the grouse was on the wing when I shot them! Out to 25 yards or so it throws a narrow long pattern but still seems to kill well with 2.5” #6 or #7.5.

Back