What a great 1911 afternoon with the young guys

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I neglected to snap any photos yesterday - but what a hoot. My youngest son and I met one of his buddies up at the gun club. We each brought .45 1911's and I brought a .22 pistol along as well. John and his buddy both used to be in the Boy Scout troop together, and I was one of the adult leaders. They're now in their early 20's and Alex makes me look small - I'm about 6' and 220 pounds - he's one big fellow these days!

Despite knee-deep snow we had a hoot - shooting slow and steady, then fast & moving. Well, moving as best we could in the snow. I coached them some.

Did lots of "failure" or "Mozambique" drills: 2 to the chest, 1 to the head

Did a lot of "step in" drills, firing one-handed, strong and weak side

Learned both the speed reload and the "tactical" reload.

The guys did well. It sure was an awful lot of fun shooting with these two fine young men. I enjoy being included in their lives - long after they've grown into men.

Regards, Guy

Congratulations Guy.. It is a strong testament to the good upbringing that you and your family have provided to these young men. I wish that more fathers would have the time and talent to nurture, develop their children as you have.

Good show, Guy.

I don't qualify as a young guy any longer, but I would sure love to avail myself of your experience, Guy. I took a former associate to the range last week to shoot a few guns. I took my new Kimber .45. He put about a hundred rounds through the handgun, and I put another fifty or so through it. He had a hoot.

Can you bring your Kimber back and forth across the border Mike?

If not, I've got one or two here...

Guy

Careful on those invitations, Guy. I just may take you up on that. No problem from the Canadian side. There could be a problem from the American side. I'll have to check this out farther.

Back