Full length recoil spring guide for .45 auto style pistols

diverdown

Handloader
Apr 29, 2015
Last year I picked up a Sig Sauer target model .45 and over a period of time decided to swap the short recoil spring guide for a full length one made by Cylinder and Slide. I shot the pistol for awhile and noted that the full length guide added weight to the pistol. I didn't see any benefit and recently went back to the short guide as both taking the gun apart and putting it back together was more involved especially with the barrel bushing. Any thoughts on this?

I think you nailed it.

Also, the two-piece full-length guide rods can come unscrewed a bit while shooting, in effect making the guide rod longer - making it very difficult to take-down the handgun afterwards for cleaning.

Guy

I've used both solid and 2 piece long guide rods in my target 1911s and the reason was to add weight to cut down on muzzle lip when shooting timed and rapid fire stages and they work good for that and to keep light recoil springs from binding in the slide. For a self defense gun they are not needed.

I have used an shot both. I however believe that it should be shot just as JMB intended with the plug and short rod.

Back