Interesting handgun class

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
My gun club got together with the local Sheriff's Department and yesterday we hosted our first handgun safety class at the club. I was the lead instructor.

Fee was a modest $10 to cover wear and tear on the target boards for the gun club.

Everyone got two hours of classroom time, with unloaded guns, using only plastic or aluminum training dummy rounds. We learned the four universal firearms safety rules, and went over how to load, unload, and shoot the various firearms.

Also went over safe storage of firearms, and then the Sheriff gave a talk about both concealed carry and use of force.

After the classroom, we adjourned to the outdoor range - where dozens of standard paper plates sacrificed themselves to our .22's, 9mm's, .38's and .45's! :)

All in all it was a good session. The goal is to reduce accidental and negligent shootings. Our local law enforcement leaders had mentioned that they'd seen a huge upswing in concealed carry permits, and also in handgun transfers/sales, so we thought we'd offer some nearly free training. It was amazingly popular and very well received. Twenty people participated, and I think every one of them was happy with the experience. They all left with a couple of good gun-safety handouts, as well as contact info for the gun club, for me, and for the Sheriff's office if they want more training or simply have questions.

A local reporter took the class - we will see how she treats it when her story comes out next week, but from the grin on her face, after shooting well with my .22 pistol, I think it's going to be a very favorable story.

If your gun club isn't doing something like this, give it some thought.

Regards, Guy

Excellent project, Guy. Every gun club should be hosting similar events. I promoted such activities when I was President of our local club. I've arranged private sessions on several occasions, such as with my the dental practice for which my wife works. Another is in the works for this summer.

Once again Guy doing it right, the training is certainly needed. Molly and I guided 211 upland hunters this fall, some very experienced, some youngsters and some middle aged guys on a business trip who had never hunted or fired a gun.
Very common for me to comment during the day on muzzle control and safeties. The biggest culprit was divided attention; reloading, receiving a bird from the dog or getting a drink of water. Amazing how poorly the average Joe handles a firearm.
I guess my point, taking liberties with Guy's comment, there are countless opportunities to teach and maybe save a life.
I'm off my soapbox, thanks Guy for doing it right.
Happy Easter everyone.

Back