1911 slide lube

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
Just wonder what folks use to lube the slide to prevent galling? Some say grease, and others use CLP etc.

No experience myself, but have a friend who reports that just a drop of Mobil 1 on each side of the slide is the cats meow. I use it on the removable axles of my wheelchair. Tolerances aren't quite as tight but there is nothing better, in my experience. CL

Boomer, I would check the Wilson Combat products. They have a selection of lube that covers any possible situation. I use the Wilson liquid grease in Florida because of temperatures and it works great.

Thebear_78":3ghd4u48 said:
Slip 2000 EWP is the best stuff out there

https://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_ewl.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like some pretty good stuff.

I use Mill tech grease on all my 1911 parts. a Light film on the slide rails and barrel bushing keeps it running during matches I also use it on the barrel locking lugs and hood which most people over look on 1911s.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Going to see if I can find some Slip2000 or Mil tec grease.

boomer68":990nj1es said:
Just wonder what folks use to lube the slide to prevent galling? Some say grease, and others use CLP etc.
Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer slicker than snot on ice

Sent from my A521L using Tapatalk

I use Wilson's Grease.
They make great 1911's so I figure they know best what works for making them run.

Vince

I've used both SS and Blued steel 1911s over the years and have always found that Breakfree CLP does a good job. Even with weeks or months in a holster or a gun rug, it stays in the rail areas and I've never found a reason to use anything other than CLP for this purpose. Although, by now, there are many "good" lubricants on the market that should provide the effect you are after. I know others who swear by grease....

You lube the 1911 slides???
Maybe I should try that but I have had no troubles or worn out pistols and have been shooting them for many years.
I have Lucas, tetra-gun, mil-tec, rigs and some other oils/greases I could try. Lighter fluid seems to work just fine on my triggers/bolts and such and it does not attract dust/dirt/grit like most oils/grease. It also does not freeze when hunting in extreme cold.

I recently discovered “Frog Lube”, it dies a great job. Having said that I need to buy some more...I’m out!

Back