41 Mag bullet selection

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
I have ammo loaded that shoots well, running a 225gr FP hardcast over 19gr of H110.

Via SPS, I got a few boxes of 210gr JHP's. Nosler 7 suggests 19.9 of H110.

Any opinions of one bullet over the other for a whitetail hunt?

Tom , when I was hunting with my 41 I used a 220 gr speer 3/4 jacketed bullet . that's what it was called back then , I'm not sure if they are still available . I did kill one buck with it , and it worked well . I'd say the hard cast would be ok if you stayed off big bone .

I was able to google up a picture of the 3/4 jacketed bullet I used .
https://media.midwayusa.com/productimag ... 345559.jpg

Thanks, Jim. Speer is fantastic at making a great bullet, learning that they made a great bullet, and promptly discontinuing it, lol.

I'll work up some loads for the 210 JHP's and see how they shoot. Maybe I'll give them a whirl. I used my buck tag in bow season, so I only plan to carry a modern rifle when backing up my daughter on her hunts. If I'm solo, I plan to look for does with either the flintlock or the 41 Mag.

just my opinion , but I think I'd feel better hunting with a jacketed bullet . I'd guess at about 1250 or 1300 FPS that 210 JHP would probably work pretty darn good.

I carried my 41 when we would do drives . it was a lot easier to carry through the thickets , than a rifle .

Nosler 7 publishes speed of 1500-1600+ with H110, but that's with a 10" barrel. My Smith has a 6" barrel.

I prepped and expanded some cases. I'll run some charges and take them to the range when I can. I have to verify my 45-70 too.

My hunting other than with my daughter will be a flintlock or the Smith from here on out, depending on the season.

Hardcast lead would be my choice and I wouldn't avoid bone but the keyword is HARDCAST.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardcast has an outstanding reputation for penetration, from big-bore handguns.

Big bones? Does a whitetail actually have anything that would be considered a "big bone" ? :grin:

Shot a mule deer a few years ago with 240 gr JHP from my S&W .44 mag revolver. Bullet did a fine job and exited.

Honestly, I think you're good to go with that .41 with either hardcast or jacketed. With the hardcast, I think I'd target the shoulder, trying for bone.

Guy

I have two cylinders of my 225gr cast bullet load (lasercast 225gr FP) with 19.0gr of h110. I forget projected velocities, but they're high enough that it'll get through a deer, I am sure.

I have JHP's loaded up to shoot if I can before the fact with charges of H110 from 20.0-22.5 grains.. Velocities in the 1200-1400fps range (210gr JHP).

My speedloaders arrived and work well. When I'm hunting with my daughter, I'll take my 270 to be her backup. Other times, I'll tote the 41 and my flintlock.

Just got back from the range.

The revolver likes mild or hot, but not medium, lol.

I shot 6 charges. The lowest two and the highest two were all around 2" off a rest at 25 yards. I personally likely can't do any better, so I'll take it.

22.0gr of H110 with the 210JHP was the best I think.

That's a fairly warm load and should be quite capable of laying down a whitetail, I'd think.

Going to load up a fresh batch of the same load and go back tomorrow to fine tune the sights and then it should be ready to hunt.

Hope to have some pics next week!

I have always used the Hornady XTP 210 grain hollow point in my .41 Magnum Classic Hunter SS. If I remember correctly I have loaded hot loads a few times with H110 and velocity was under 1700 fps. Bullets performed very well on big hogs broadside and quartering ( 300 + lbs) and complete pass throughs.

I have to check QL again, but I believe with my 6" barrel (might be 5.5, I forget), I think that load goes right at 1400, plus or minus, with the 210JHP. It's 22.0gr H110. QL maxed it at a hair over 22.5, so I stopped at 22.5, which shot just as well as 22.0, more or less. I couldn't really distinguish any difference in recoil, either.

I shot each charge for four rounds. The 22.0gr load had two "pairs" touching with an inch or so between the two pairs. The 22.5gr load had three in about an inch in a triangle and one out, and I know I had a sloppy shot where I didn't control the recoil well. So I guess it's possible 22.5 shot the best. I sort of figured the gap between those "pairs" with the 22.0gr load was me not getting a totally identical sight picture each time. They are separated vertically, not horizontally. I kinda think that's sight picture and my shooting, not the load.

They look like pretty capable bullets. When I get some time, I'll have to smash one into some jugs and see what it does. Hopefully I'll test one on a whitetail first.

sounds like a winner to me Tom , you're not trying to shoot moa @ 100 yds . I looked at these 210 JHP bullets, this is what I'd be using for deer hunting .

you could always use the hard cast and target the shoulder . just let us know how this works out for you since none of us have experience doing this . .

I shot my hardcast load, too, and it shot about 3-4" at 25. The JHP loads shot much better. I could mess with the hardcast load and surely pull that in a bit, but I want to see what these JHP's can do. Won't likely be messing with doe on Monday, as I'll be with my daughter then and will mostly be her guide.

I have off next Fri through the following Wed. I may try for a doe with them at that point.

OK, now I'm really curious. I did some google-fu on this, and it seems that there's a lot of talk of them being similar to the Hornady XTP in terminal performance, BUT...

No one in any forum link I came across actually relayed personal experience with them on game. Most anyone relayed was experience at the range with them, and all seemed to agree they are highly accurate bullets. But all I could ever find was conjecture on big game hunting performance. No first hand accounts.

Now I feel compelled to get one on the ground...for science. :)

If you can find it, Winchester loads a 240 gr Platinum Tip bullet. Pretty pricey now.

It shot very well in my first Blackhawk with 4 5/8" barrel at 25 yards; 1- 1 1/2 6 shot groups depending on me

Looking forward to trying in my 6" S&W Model 57, new 4 5/8" Blackhawk and Marlin 1894S.

I also picked up some HSM ammo loaded with a 230 gr cast bullet for comparison testing.

While I cannot use the revolvers to hunt here in Canada, I look forward to trying the rifle on black bear next spring. Will advise on the bullets performance on bear once successful.

I will also be comparing performance with the 210 gr XTP in all 3 firearms, and hope to find some 265 gr cast bullets to try as well.

You can't use a revolver to hunt? Really? That's odd.

I really want to smash a doe (used my buck tag in bow season and we only get one of those per year) with these JHP's and see what they do.

Unfortunately Canadian law prohibits the use of restricted firearms for hunting, and they can only be.used at a certified gun range, and require special permits to transport from home to range and then straight home again. Restricted firearms include all handguns and AR and other certain types of semi-auto military rifles.

Wow. That's horrible. I knew the laws up there were more restrictive, but didn't know they'd gone that far.

Yes, Tom, but there are some advantages. We can purchase firearms (including restricted weapons) by mail. We don't need an FFL to receive what we order as it is sent directly to our house or postal drop. From a Canadian standpoint, it seems strange that an intermediary is required to purchase a firearm. In either instance, there is governmental intrusion. Both the USA and Canada justify their respective positions by claiming that it is for the public good, for safety or something.

Back