10mm ammo for deer and hogs

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
By the numbers, I think 200 grain bullets are the sweet spot.

From the 6" Glock, with Underwood ammo, which is loaded to original Norma specs, the 200 grain XTP bullet will start at about 1,300 fps.

My question is... Would you roll with the XTP bullet or the WFNGC cast bullet.... Both are 200 grains @ 1,300 fps (1,250 fps from a G20)

As to the cast bullets in a Glock... I know what Glock says... But a few hard cast gas checked bullets here and there won't hurt, been shooting cast in a Glock for a good while now.

I've shot hard cast in Glocks. Seemed to be fine.
Checked it and everything looked fine.
i think hard cast would be a beast in a 10.

Brother just took a deer with 6" glock. Double tap 180 grain JHP. Think shot was about 30 yards through the lungs. She only ran about 50 yards didn't bleed though. Bullet was under hide on the far side and had a great mushroom. Really tore her up inside, but I'd prolly choose hard cast for an exit wound and probably better blood trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would definetly go with the heavier bullet. XTP's seem to always be a deep penetrator.

either would work great! So will this one

Buffalo Bore Ammo

Technical Information

Caliber: 10mm Auto
Bullet Weight: 220 Grain
Bullet Style: Hardcast Flat Nose
Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 1200 fps
Muzzle Energy: 703 ft lb

Also

Doubletap's Ballistic Test Results

Technical Information
Caliber: 10mm Auto
Bullet Weight: 230 Grain
Bullet Style: Lead Wide FN Gas Check
Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 1120 fps **
Muzzle Energy: 641 ft. lbs.

Beartooth makes good bullets.
May be just the ticket.
I'll be interested in what you work up.

For light game like whitetails I would definitely stick to jacketed bullets like the hornady XTP. I had great results with the Speer 165 gold dots. The cast bullets penetrate well but the soft tissue damage of the expanding bullets will make for quicker kills

Thebear_78":1b50g7xq said:
For light game like whitetails I would definitely stick to jacketed bullets like the hornady XTP. I had great results with the Speer 165 gold dots. The cast bullets penetrate well but the soft tissue damage of the expanding bullets will make for quicker kills

I wonder with a larger flat meplat how some of the 220s would do on deer?

Back