Got the old 44 finally set up for last 2 weeks of season.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Decided to put my 4X scope back on my S&W 29-3 with 8 3/8" barrel. I used to shoot about 300 rounds a week through my 44's and could keep good groups at 75 yards. Now I live about 45 minutes from my range on the family's property. Just can't quite see the iron sights like I used too could either. Picked up some Winchester 240 grain soft points, have not had any free time to reload. Had issues with this scope last year slipping in the rings, so picked up another set. I forgot how hard it is to shoot a pistol with a scope, every time your heart beats you can see it move lol. Here is my final 5 shot group at 75 yards. Was sitting with shooting sticks since I always hunt from the ground with a pistol and use sticks. First round I let get away from me a little high. I personally set my my range at 75 yards cause that's as far as I can keep all rounds in a pie plate from field positions. The old model 29 is still an accurate old gal.
19f81b1a116d54f240b97954cc0017db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not bad at all!

Beautiful S&W...

You have any opportunities to use it coming up?

Guy

Indeed, that is a beautiful pistol. Those five rounds would define any hunt out to seventy-five yards. Good job!

Thanks! I have two weeks left in our deer season. Had a good year so far with a doe, 9 pt, and 7pt. So I'm gonna put the rifle up, and finish out with this. Hopefully get a another doe or two. I've used a couple different 44's for the last couple years. Only taken two deer with them in that time, but prolly two of my most favorite hunts. Really like going after them with the old revolvers double action and single action. Finally got my oldest brother into it. He killed his first handgun deer last week. He packs a glock 40 in 10 mm. I believe he is hooked.

Oh the model 29 is a mid 80's production, so it's not pinned and recessed like most collectors want. But it has beautiful bluing, and nice grain the the factory target stocks. The mount was given to me by a older member on the S&W forum. I didn't want to have it drilled and tapped, so he sent me this that attaches with two screws in the factory sight holes. So I usually put mild cast and jacketed loads through it. 255 cast WFN at 1150 fps and 240 XTP's at about 1200 fps. Those factory Winchester say 1180 fps, so I'm prolly getting around that maybe little more with the long barrel. Old gal still tight and hopefully those loads won't shoot her loose anytime soon.

Nice S&W 29. That will do the trick.
I have 2, 629 6 3/8" with a Leupold 4x and a 629 3" for woods carry.
Love those N frames.

JD338

Yep JD, those big rugers may be stronger for the heavy loads, but it's hard to beat the feel of a N frame S&W.

Back