Revolver for carry

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I've been enjoying carrying my .357 Model 19 quite a bit since it was spruced-up a bit. Practicing with it too. Yesterday at the range, I was done with my rifle practice & chronograph session, so decided to put some .38 Special rounds downrange. Just 158 grain cast semi-wadcutters over a modest charge of Unique, nothing special.

All shooting was at 7 yards. Temps were mid 30's, sunny & nice, with about 18" of snow on the ground. Sorry, no new photos taken today.

First six rounds, fired double action, but at a deliberate pace, tore one ragged hole in the center of the target. That was nice! (y)

Reloaded, re-holstered. My buddy shouted "go" since we had no shot-timer with us.

Dang, the 2.5" revolver was out of the holster and all six rounds fired pretty dang quickly, pretty danged accurately. :mrgreen: Spread was about hand-size on the target. Nicely centered.

I do believe I'm getting my revolver mojo back. :mrgreen:

Guy

Guy, I would never feel under gunned packing a wheel gun. I made the mistake several years ago when our local corrections switched to semi autos. I could have bought a lightly used 2 1/2 inch 66 or a 4 inch 686 for $289 out the door. I should've bought two of the 66's!!! Now I'm on the hunt for a 3 inch 686 round butt, I really like the balence of that gun.

This is mine 38 +P

Attachments

• 2308029_02_smith_wesson_model_637_chiefs__640.jpg
    2308029_02_smith_wesson_model_637_chiefs__640.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,713
Fotis, I carry a model 60 in .357 but use the Speer Gold Dot in 38+P, 135 grain. Great bullet. I have shot a few full house .357's but OUCH!!!

That's cool Fotis. Special place in my heart for those little 5-shot J-frame S&W revolvers.

My wife uses this one - she "stole" it from me after shooting one cylinder full of .38's at the range years ago:

Nice.
I have a S&W 629 3". Love shooting this with mild loads.

JD338

Guy Miner":1yf2fibj said:
A 629? That's a whole different animal! (y)

She does get a little lively with full house loads. :mrgreen:
SampW%20629%203%20inch%2044%20Rem%20Mag.jpg

JD338

Had this 3" .45 ACP with moon clips:

Thought I'd like it a lot more than I did. Anticipated buying custom leather for it, nice grips, etc... Tried it a few times at the range, never got completely comfortable with it so, off it went. Not quite sure what it was that kept me from really falling for that 3" big bore S&W. It shot pretty well...

However, I really like my 5" 629! With full power, or mild loads. YES! That's quite a revolver and I truly enjoy shooting it.

Love my 1911, but I really enjoy shooting good revolvers.... (y)

Regards, Guy

Very nice resolver pics.
I call them resolvers because a few revolvers solved some serious problems for me over the years.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like Guy, I prefer the 5" model 629. Used primarily for a back-up bear hunting gun, I have it loaded with Nosler Partitions. When they run out I may try some of the heavy, hard cast bullets that seem to get a lot of attention for use on bears.

However, for carry, I use a Kahr PM 9. The easily concealable pistol is accurate and incredibly reliable. Virtually nothing jams in this little gun and it is far easier to shoot than you would expect based on its diminutive size and weight.

My .41 Magnum S&W model 657 Classic Hunter with 210 XTP's, don't use it for self defense, just a sidearm I used to use when stalking hogs. I personally carry my .40 Sig P239 concealed.

6MpMQVy.jpg

I've gone back to carrying my 1911 as I had to sell my Model 58 when I was out of work.

I also carry a rifle in the truck. Since I sold my AR also I'm carrying the 45/70 Marlin in the truck.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back