Hunting bullet weight for 357 Mag

tecumseh

Handloader
Oct 20, 2010
Gonna start loading hunting loads for my GP 100 357 for deer and hog hunting here in Ohio and not sure if I should go with a 125 gr JSP or JHC Sierra or would I be better off using a 158 gr bullet? I have a box of 125 gr Speer deep Curl bullets to try also, I was thinkin about using em for 38 + P.

Any hand gun hunting I would do with a .357 would be with a 158-180gr bullet either hard cast or JSP, JHP act more like solids and the lighter bullets just don't have the stopping power you will need. JMO

The Speer 158 JSP has worked well for my dad and me for years. It has worked well from both the 16" levergun to shorter pistol barrels. I have used 158gr American eagle JSP to finish off moose. Moose have a very tough skull and I was impressed at how well it put the moose down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No less than 158 grains, jacketed soft points are ideal.... But a tough hollow point will work too.

I like XTP's.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

XTP's, Speer jacketed flat points or even the Gold Dot in 158 grain should work well. One of these days I'm going to play around with some 180 grain Hard cast bulkets in my Blackhawk.

A better way to look at pistol bullets is by sectional density.

.180 or so will do for hunting deer, hogs, black bear and such.

Anything bigger (elk, moose, big bears) needs closer to .200 in my opinion.

Strictly for deer .160 will do also... I've filled a freezer or two using 230 grain 45acp rounds.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/sd_handgun.htm

truck driver":mylnd52u said:
Any hand gun hunting I would do with a .357 would be with a 158-180gr bullet either hard cast or JSP, JHP act more like solids and the lighter bullets just don't have the stopping power you will need. JMO

+1

JD338

Back