44 Special Bullets

tecumseh

Handloader
Oct 20, 2010
Loading some 44 special to plink with at the range with my Redhawk and not sure which weight would be the way to go, 180 or 200 gr bullet? Might also use em for home defense too.

Depends on if your shooting lead or jacketed ammo. Most economical is lead and will let you shoot more and with the right mild loads will not lead your gun. I would use my lead target loads I use in my 1911's for home defense also since lead will expand at lower velocities than say a JHP out of a pistol which will usually act like a FMJ at lower velocities and there still is might not expand at higher velocities either depending on the material it has to penetrate.
I would load some of both and see which one is most accurate and go from there.
But then a good 12ga pump shot gun makes about the best home defense gun there is. Just racking the slide will put the fear of God into most perps and for those that don't 1 1/8oz of lead will sure stop them in their tracks. :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol:

I am currently running mine over 6.0gr of 700x ... which Chronys at 812fps out of my 3" 629-1.

They are a bit pricey, but they are nice bullets that expand very well at relatively low velocities.

I dug these out of my dry, fine-grain clay/sand backstop.

Attachments

• 250gr44Matts_zpshckhpsk9.jpg
    250gr44Matts_zpshckhpsk9.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,025
FOTIS":3iytc1xb said:
I am currently running mine over 6.0gr of 700x ... which Chronys at 812fps out of my 3" 629-1.

They are a bit pricey, but they are nice bullets that expand very well at relatively low velocities.

I dug these out of my dry, fine-grain clay/sand backstop.

Those look impressive! I'll have to check em out.

Back