Anybody shoot silhouette?

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
A couple of local ranges have IHMSA silhouette matches. During the last component shortage, I dusted off my Ruger Blackhawk .41 and found a good load for it to use up some components I had, instead of the ones I couldn't buy. I've gotten interested in dinging some steel at the local club and have gotten pretty proficient at it. Hope to make a formal match or 2 this summer, but I know nothing about it and all the silhouette guys have gone into hibernation for the winter so I can't ask questions. Also have a Ruger MK3 target model that could probably do service in rimfire class. Does anybody on here do silhouette, so I can bounce a few questions off of you?

Never had time when it was a big thing back in the 1980's.

My gun club still has a bunch of the old targets, but there hasn't been a silhouette match there in decades.

I'd like to though, think it would be a hoot!

Guy

I shot a few matches back in the mid 1990's. I used a M700 Varmint in 7mm-08 and 280 Remington.
It sure was a lot of fun and really honed my off hand shooting skills.

JD338

I've been shooting IHMSA matches for 8 or 9 yrs I guess. It's no where near the popularity it was back in the 80's but there's still a few clubs around that have matches. It's a great way to hone your accuracy skills especially if you're interested in hunting with a handgun.

For handgun silhouette, what were the official distances?

Out to 200 meters wasn't it?

Thanks, Guy

Sheep at 200 meters if memory serves me. I shot some many years ago using my 7.5" Super Blackhawk.

Guy Miner":4ptmzfz5 said:
For handgun silhouette, what were the official distances?

Out to 200 meters wasn't it?

Thanks, Guy
Field pistol (straight walled cartridge, iron sights) is 25, 50, 75 and 100m on 1/2 scale targets.
Big bore is to 200m on the rams.

Shot a few matches last year. Struggled in Big Bore as I didn't have enough elevation or repeatability in the stock Ruger BH sights for 200m, had to use a heavy holdover, but when I did connect with a Ram, it was a satisfying clang. Somehow I found the range on the Turkeys much easier, there was a piece of junk on the berm that was at the perfect holdover level. The .41 BH is rather punishing with full power loads, looking for something a little more sedate in a Contender for this year.

Shot a Taurus M66 .357 (with .38 loads) in my last FP match and did quite well, 36/40. Most of my misses were on the Turkeys as I went in cold and it took a few rounds to find the range. Was a lot of fun.

My dad did in the 80s. Contender with a super 14 30-30 barrel for the Rams and used a 7.5" Blackhawk Bisley 357 for FP. He sweat soldered a gold bead rod on the front sight for height and crafted a peep out of metal that fit into the rear sight slot so that the windage screw moved it. it was damned accurate in its purpose too. A hardcast alloy SWC over a healthy dose of 2400 knocked the piss out of those targets. I have shot a few matches with my contender, 22 match bull barrel and a 45 LC bull are my go tos.

Your father was indeed an innovative shooter.
We need more like him today.
I fear the decline of the shooting sports with our societies shift in attitude.
Let us promote safe recreational use. Please.

Thank you gemihur he was a one of a kind I can tell you. He passed in 2012 and boy do I miss him everyday. If I can be half the outdoorsman, 1/4 of the rifleman, and 1/10 of the pistol shot he was then I will have done very well for myself. Most of what I know of firearms/cartridge history, reloading , ballistics, hunting, and shooting I learned from him. He helped teach both my sons, my wife, friends,family and many many others firearms safety, wildlife stewardship, marksmanship and just how to be a good person in general. A good teacher, a good man and a great father RIP LKB.

Back