Chilly handgun training

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Got a short-notice request from some friends for a family handgun training session yesterday. This pleased me, I'm always up for helping someone learn how to shoot safely and well. We spent about four hours at the gun club, two indoors in the heat, and two freezing outside. Everyone had a good time. We went through a couple hundred .22's, as well as a bit of .38, .357, 9mm and .45 ACP.

Three had never shot before, so it was an opportunity to get them started right. It was a good afternoon. I think we've all thawed out now!

The .22 Ruger of mine has been the most-used handgun I've got for training! Originally got it to help with the police officers I was training. Wish I'd kept even a rough count of the amount of ammo that has gone through that thing!

bZe3Zoxl.jpg

YGWL1pbl.jpg

TRY7Yivl.jpg

It's good to pass on the knowledge. Do wish I'd laced on my insulated winter boots though!

Guy

So I like looking for the "little" things. A rookie standing in the bite butt cold, indexed-slide locked open. Fundamentals retained. Must be a good instructor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a good time for all.
Hope someone had a pot of venison chili on and waiting for you and the group afterwards.
Good stuff Guy!

JD338

Excellent, Guy. Good to train in the cold since we aren't always called on to use firearms in the warmth of summer.

Looks like fun Guy! Except all that snow looks mighty cold for a Mississippi boy lol.

Looking good Guy.
I had a similar request but thankful we didn't have any snow temps in the low 30's with wind chill in the teens with high humidity feels like it's in the teens and goes right threw you.
My Grandson wanted to learn to shoot and I was happy to let him shoot several of my hand guns.
I started him out with a rim fire .22 rifle first to build his confidence and then moved him to my 1911 .22lr, next was a S&W M14 38spl and finally one of my 1911 .45 acps all the center fires were shot with target loads and he preferred the S&W M14 38spl over the semi autos and shot it the best.

truck driver":1f46tcdo said:
Looking good Guy.
I had a similar request but thankful we didn't have any snow temps in the low 30's with wind chill in the teens with high humidity feels like it's in the teens and goes right threw you.
My Grandson wanted to learn to shoot and I was happy to let him shoot several of my hand guns.
I started him out with a rim fire .22 rifle first to build his confidence and then moved him to my 1911 .22lr, next was a S&W M14 38spl and finally one of my 1911 .45 acps all the center fires were shot with target loads and he preferred the S&W M14 38spl over the semi autos and shot it the best.
It’s pretty hard to go wrong with a good wheel gun!

Looks like a good time. Since I got my hunting land, been doing the same with a lot of the Wife's extended family. They're not all gun savvy, so some learning from scratch.

The wife's .357 wheelgun has been a godsend for this. A bit safer than a single action auto for new shooters who might forget the weapon is HOT after firing a round. Butt simple and cheap to reload, and with reduced power cast bullet loads, very non-intimidating step to a centerfire handgun from the .22. When they get some confidence with the .38s, they can drop in some full power cast .38s, and then graduate to full power defensive .357 if they really want some shock and awe.

Guy, I'm guessing picking up brass was easy as it all melted through the snow, not to be seen until spring:)

lefty315":1xcl4st3 said:
Guy, I'm guessing picking up brass was easy as it all melted through the snow, not to be seen until spring:)

Exactly! Our spent brass vanished. I did get some .357 and .38 brass for reloading though.

Guy

Back