Any Ruger Alaskan owners?

tecumseh

Handloader
Oct 20, 2010
Looked at a Ruger Alaskan 44 mag to carry while bow hunting in bear hunting, just wondering what the recoil is like if loaded with 305 gr Buffalo Bore cast bullets?

What kind of bear are you hunting? Recoil will be stout and getting off multiple shots quickly and accurately could be a challenge with a heavy recoiling revolver. If you are hunting black bear, a lighter weight bullet might be a better option.

JD338

I’d just be using it for bear protection while Elk or Deer hunting with a bow in bear country that’s compact and easy to carry. I’ve got a GP 100 357, that I carry with me here in Ohio, i’d Like something that packs a little more punch.

I think I say something like damn every time I pull the trigger. One of our guides has one, likes it just fine. Come to think of it I haven't done any double tap training with him. Will address that this summer.

Don't forget about bear spray. I've become very impressed with how well it works. I carry a side arm or a rifle and the bear spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 240-250 gr hard cast bullets pack serious punch
and penetration. They would be a lot more fun to shoot than the 305 gr loads. The Ruger Alaskan is a nice revolver. I have a S&W 629 3" that I carry. It's fine with 200 gr and upper 240 gr loads with a glove. The wood grips look great but should be replaced with a Houge grip when shooting the 300 gr bullets.

JD338

The thought never occurred to use a lighter weight cast bullet, something to consider. I carry bear spray as well.

Have a look at the Ruger Redhawk in 41 Rem Mag. (They have a 4" barrelled version)
Less recoil than the 44, and with 240 gr bullets will even out penetrate the 240 gr 44 mag, a desirable trait on larger bears (grizzly or brown) if that is what you are wooried about.

Back