Speed vs Accuracy Rob Leatham

"Shooting accurately enough faster is better than shooting extremely accurate slow." Leatham knows whereof he speaks; he is worth listening to. Indeed, good videos, David.

Very accurate statements. I've seen scenarios using this logic and the combat shooter definitely has the edge.

Ya, it's fun and very satisfying to shoot those tiny little itty-bitty bragging groups...

But all ya really need to do is put a few good bullets in the vital area in a hurry.

I've never been particularly fast by nature, it's something I have to work at a bit. Never had any trouble making the time limits in our police qualification courses though.

Guy

Minute of bad guy is all you need. But I'm one of those who are obsessed with shooting those tiny little itty-bitty bragging groups. With every thing I shoot.
As for scoring vital hits on a man size target I'm pretty fast with a 9mm, and with a single action, including double taps. But I'm just having a hard time mastering the 40 S&W in my M&P Compact. It twists in my hands forcing me to reacquire my grip before I can get the second shot off.
Now that the trigger pull is somewhat better my grouping has really improved so I guess I need to concentrate more on adding some speed to the first shot and the next few also.

Darkhorse - the 40 has a real crisp recoil, particularly in a smaller handgun.

I've owned one and taught many officers who used 'em, but personally I favor the 45 on the larger side, and the 9mm on the smaller side. Either of those are easier for me to shoot well.

That said... There was a 40 cal long-slide Glock with a TMR sight... I couldn't miss with that rig! And fast too...

Guy

Darkhorse I have a Springfield Armory sub-compact XD .40 S&W that I really like. The S&W M&P is a really nice pistol as well and it fits my hands nicely. I actually shot the sub-compact better than my 4" full size XD pistol. I like to load magazines alternately with dummy rounds so I can really concentrate on my trigger pulls and find that helps me shoot better I believe. Helps keep me from rushing the trigger and squeezing it nice and smooth.

I haven't timed the latest police shooting, didn't occur to me until now but 20 rounds got dumped in just a couple of seconds. Most I've studied or investigated were over in just a few seconds. Accuracy trumps speed only to a point. Good tactics certainly improve your odds.
From my perspective most people don't spend anywhere near enough time practicing presentation. From the holster to sights on target. Slow is smooth; smooth is fast.
The body can't go where the brain has never been. Get some training, I do.
I like Rob and what he has to say and no, even with 20 years of SWAT under my belt, I don't think I'd strap on a simunitions gun and go nose to nose with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt Rob is one of the best at what he does but what I liked most was he said you have to learn to shot accurately first and then the speed will come.
Though a totally different sport Bullseye teaches you to shoot accurately and fast in that you have time limits to get off 5 shots accurately on a 12" target at 25 yards one handed off hand in 15 and 10 seconds.
Quite a few of our club members who shoot steel at 15 yards come up to shoot bullseye with us to learn to shoot accurately and quite a few can't believe what we can do with 5 rounds in ten seconds at 25 yds. Most of these guys can't hit a 50yd target with their pistols shooting 2 handed and we do it single handed off hand and keep them in the in the six inch black center.
Would I go up against Rob? No way not even on one of his bad days. But I don't shoot as much or as often as he does and his custom guns are far above the quality of the stock guns most of us buy and shoot, His are for the most part free.

When you think about the training you and I, others here as well, provided for our officers, it's a perfect mantra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A large part of my problem with the M&P was the terrible, gritty trigger. I chose to retain the factory trigger (for the time being at least) and do some fine polishing on the striker block and other bearing surfaces. The results were not stellar so I've done it over several times, now it's much better and I've managed to reduce the weight over a pound. And this has helped a lot. Before I would get a few real tight in the bull then a flyer several inches away. Now those flyers are pretty much a thing of the past.
I changed the sights to a set of Ameriglo Pro I-dot's which really helps these older eyes to see better.
I'm also loading Ranier 180 grain HP's with 5.9 grains of Unique, nothing like full power factory loads but still fairly snappy.
I think what I really need is consistent practice but don't seem to have the time for it.

A year old but deserves a bump. Very good information and very true. Get your fundamentals down. Proper form,follow through etc and learn how shoot as accurately as you can. Then practice your speed and instinctive/point shooting. And move. Learn to move between shots so you’re not in the same place when the shots come your way. If you suck at drawing fast,realize it and, move first then draw. A miss doesn’t have to be by much to matter as long as it’s a miss and keeps you in the fight so move. So many people lock up like a statue and provide an easy target.

Guy Miner":27a6mg81 said:
"The body can't go where the brain has never been."

I like that. (y)

Very true!

it takes a 1,000 times of doing something in order to build muscle memory.
It takes 15,000 times of doing something to make it intstinctive.

That being said, quality of practice is vital to build quality form (muscle memory), and this beats quantity of poor quality practice!

Back