.357 advice

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
I’ve not done much handloading for my handguns and what I have done has mostly been done with volume being the focus rather than precision.

My question is, what would you handload or buy over the counter for a GP-100 with a 4” barrel in .357 Magnum? This pistol shoots excellent with the Remington 125 gr JHP .38 Special +P loads but I’m wanting something with a bit more muscle behind it. I’ve looked at Buffalo Bore, not sure I need that much extra spit but a good quality bullet in the 158 grain range that could be used for black bear from handshake to out to 50 yards or so if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were looking to shoot a bear with a hand gun the 357 mag wouldn't be my first choice But if your determined to use it go with the Buffalo bore ammo.

So for this purpose I would go up to a 180gr. the federal Vital Shock swift A frame BJHP, 1130fps 510 ft lbs fits the bill. If I was using a 158 I would want the extra "spit".

Bought some 158 grain JSP Federal factory loads. They shot really well. I’m not taking this handgun “Black Bear Hunting.” This is a literal just in case kind of a gun. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are no slouch coming out at 1240fps. my 6" 686 likes them very much. Accurate consistent and surprisingly clean.

26NosFan":265ln77q said:
Those are no slouch coming out at 1240fps. my 6" 686 likes them very much. Accurate consistent and surprisingly clean.

My GP-100 also really likes them for the same reasons!

This is a load I shoot in my Marlin 1894C 357mag and has shot well in a Ruger Blackhawk 357mag too.
Federal cases
Federal GM200M primer
16.0grs of H110 powder
Speer 158gr. SP bullet seated at 1.580" COAL
Heavy crimp with Lee Factory Crimp Die.

I’ve used Winchester 158 grain on deer at reasonable distance with good results. As in all dead that I shot and about 10-30 yards. Speer made a 170 grain FP gold dot a few years ago that was really good but haven’t been able to find it for awhile. I plan on doing some serious loading for my 357 here soon and plan on getting some hard cast bullets with the widest meplat I can find on top of a full charge of N110. For bear I’d feel better with a 44 Mag. I took a decent sized blackie with a 44 Mag tracker and 240 grain JSP without issue.

Back